Old 08-02-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
hb3

Originally Posted by Angel1 View Post
What's the difference if you label yourself a 'problem drinker' or an 'alcoholic'??
The old saying, "a rose by any other name..." comes to mind

In your post you have stated that you in fact have had problems with alcohol in the past, and even now with what you feel is a new sense of perspective towards drinking, you still can't guarantee that you can control your drinking when you decide to socialize. Why flirt with danger? Realistically, you can't trust yourself 100% when it comes to drinking in moderation, can you??
Think about this for a minute: what is so important about drinking that you feel that you want to keep it as a part of your life? You have seen how it has robbed you of many things up to this point, and how much better you are without it... take your history & learn from it...NOW. Don't wait for the years to add up & then look back to see the damage your drinking did to your life.
You seem like a very analytical sort of person... the writing is on the wall my friend... read it... and heed its warning.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but from what I have read of your story you are already questioning the role alcohol plays in your life... I think you already know what you need to do... look deep inside, that's where you will find your answer... not in some book.
All my best to you
Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum....

Why is it so important to you to continue to drink
despite your misgivings? Alcohol is a toxic liquid
that damages everyone who drinks....not only alcoholics.
The answer to your question would be:

Some people are obesely overweight, cholesterol off the charts, and yet they'll eat junk food all the time. It's undeniable that it's dangerous, but as humans we inherently don't like feeling robbed of things. One feels much more freedom in life not feeling like he's less of a person by being limited in ways others aren't.

I agree with you indeed, but wouldn't life be much easier if I wouldn't have to spend next 50 yrs explaining to people why I'm not having that glass of wine? Surely feeling like others is the motivating factor behind my trying to ascertain how dangerous my situation is and if I may be past the point of no return?