Old 08-02-2009, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by hb3 View Post
Thx bud.

As for this one:

I also saw it that way, and was sure I was an alcoholic just hibernating, until I spoke to the treatment people for DUI treatment, and was told by them that abusive behavior for a period of time does not necessarily mean alcoholism and can be brought under control. Which I was very happy about. One disease less to worry about taking my life, you know?
How'd you do on the twenty questions?

Drinking alcoholically does not mean one is an alcoholic, but I have to say I got the sense from your initial post you have already made up your mind about whether you are an alcoholic or not, and write although you have had "troubling indications" about your drinking you have come to the conclusion you are not an alcoholic.

The best way to find out is to keep drinking. Try some controlled drinking, Try it more then once. Try to drink and stop abruptly. If you are honest with yourself it will not take you long to get a good knowledge of your condition.

The best test I know is to drink two drinks every day for thirty days. If you are unable to stop a few times, as in you end up drunk a few times that equals "loss of control" which is the benchmark of an alcoholic.