View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
alwaysthinking2

Sorry for what you are going through. I am glad to hear that you are doing things to further your own life and take care of you.

While my experience was different from yours, I can say that alcoholism is a progressive disease -- he's going to get worse regardless of anything you do. Stories abound on this board from the people who have tried to be the perfect partner, and people who have spent years of their lives walking on eggshells in an effort to protect the alcoholic from needing to drink. But that's the rub -- it doesn't matter what you do, the alcoholic will find an excuse to drink.

There is also the likelihood that if you are too nice, too considerate, the alcoholic will start treating you poorly in an effort to get you to react, thus giving them *you* as an excuse to drink. This happened to me.

Detaching is difficult. Maybe you will fall out of love, maybe you will not, I don't know. My guess would be that your relationship is not as true, meaningful, and mutual as it would be if he were sober; so perhaps you can look at it from the other side -- that you are doing what you can to allow for the possibility that you can be even more in love with him.

Best,

at2