View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 03:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

I was so bored at 6. What do you do?
Well when I got out of detox I was willing to do what ever it took to stay sober!

In detox they told me to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and to get a sponsor.

What did I do? Well I wanted to stay sober so rather then going out for a lonely burger and beer at 6pm I was getting a bite to eat and heading out to an AA meeting.

What did I do at those AA meetings? Well I listened closely to people who had some time sober.

What did I do with the things these people shared with me about staying sober and living life? I DID WHAT THEY DID!!!!

The most important thing I have learned in AA over all is the following:

If I want to have what some one else has, I need to do what they did to get it.

I wanted to stay sober, I wanted to have self confidence, I wanted to be comfortable in my own skin, I did not want to obsess for alcohol, I wanted peace and serenity in my life, I wanted a twinkle in my eye and a smile on my face, I wanted to be able to look people in the eye.

All of the above I saw in many people in AA with time sober and working the AA program, so guess what I did? I did what they did and I got what they have! I pass on freely to any one who wants what they gave me to others who want it and that right there is the main thing that helps me to maintain my spiritual condition, my sanity and my sobriety.

What did these people do? What did I do? Why not get serious about getting and staying sober and go to at least 90 AA meetings, get a sponsor and find out?

BTW you can go to an AA meeting drunk and be more then welcome as long as you have a desire to stop drinking and you act respectfully of the people there.

Being drunk is not an excuse for not attending meetings, I know a man who attended meetings almost daily while he was drinking for 13 years, he wanted to be sober but it took him 13 years to finally be willing to do what ever it took to get and stay sober! He has been sober over 4 years now.