Notices

I can't seem to post anythign

Old 07-29-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't seem to post anythign

test

Sorry I've been trying to post something for awhile. I'm going to try again.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Weird I can post this but I can't post a title with "I woke up this morning with good intentions" then the following message.

I didn't drink last night. I was up at 7am. I had scrambled eggs loaded with spinach and little bit of cheese. I got to work early. I had banana's and apples all day because I really wasn't that hungry.

I felt good coming home. It was 6pm. There's nothing on TV. What do I do. I'm bored. I'm thinking I'll go out for a burger and have a beer. I go out, have a burger, 6 beer and I pick up a pint of whiskey on the way home of which I am almost finished.

What happened?

I was so bored at 6. What do you do?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tryingforhim View Post
Weird I can post this but I can't post a title with "I woke up this morning with good intentions" then the following message.

I didn't drink last night. I was up at 7am. I had scrambled eggs loaded with spinach and little bit of cheese. I got to work early. I had banana's and apples all day because I really wasn't that hungry.

I felt good coming home. It was 6pm. There's nothing on TV. What do I do. I'm bored. I'm thinking I'll go out for a burger and have a beer. I go out, have a burger, 6 beer and I pick up a pint of whiskey on the way home of which I am almost finished.

What happened?

evaluate how well your life is going and decide how much impact your drinking has on that...i'm guessing A LOT.

just go to detox and make sure you don't leave early. learn some life skills, learn how to deal with your boredom and emotional responses to normal life. seek professional medical help immediately. think about LONG TERM care like a half way house where you HAVE to stay sober and are able to work and maintain a semi-normal life.

what do i do? i just stay pissed off at myself that using my DOC is such a dick move to everyone/everything i love and strive for.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi TFH

Theres a great thread we started on things to do - check it out
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

Probably one of the best things not to do is go out for a burger...and a beer.
I know you're trying to wean off. I have my own ideas on that.
I always ended up like you did tonight.

No-one ever said this was easy....but please don't look for trouble, TFH.

Next time why not get a burger and a shake, or juice, or soda, or coffee....
or cook at home even?

One day at a time is all you need to worry about.
D
Old 07-30-2009, 12:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I find AA to be an interesting adventure in sober living.

It's always changeing and never boring.

Hope you find your answers....
Old 07-30-2009, 03:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well when I got out of detox I was willing to do what ever it took to stay sober!

In detox they told me to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and to get a sponsor.

What did I do? Well I wanted to stay sober so rather then going out for a lonely burger and beer at 6pm I was getting a bite to eat and heading out to an AA meeting.

What did I do at those AA meetings? Well I listened closely to people who had some time sober.

What did I do with the things these people shared with me about staying sober and living life? I DID WHAT THEY DID!!!!

The most important thing I have learned in AA over all is the following:

If I want to have what some one else has, I need to do what they did to get it.

I wanted to stay sober, I wanted to have self confidence, I wanted to be comfortable in my own skin, I did not want to obsess for alcohol, I wanted peace and serenity in my life, I wanted a twinkle in my eye and a smile on my face, I wanted to be able to look people in the eye.

All of the above I saw in many people in AA with time sober and working the AA program, so guess what I did? I did what they did and I got what they have! I pass on freely to any one who wants what they gave me to others who want it and that right there is the main thing that helps me to maintain my spiritual condition, my sanity and my sobriety.

What did these people do? What did I do? Why not get serious about getting and staying sober and go to at least 90 AA meetings, get a sponsor and find out?

BTW you can go to an AA meeting drunk and be more then welcome as long as you have a desire to stop drinking and you act respectfully of the people there.

Being drunk is not an excuse for not attending meetings, I know a man who attended meetings almost daily while he was drinking for 13 years, he wanted to be sober but it took him 13 years to finally be willing to do what ever it took to get and stay sober! He has been sober over 4 years now.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was in treatment for quite a while and I had the "four walls" to protect me. When I got out my head kept telling me "you can go get something to drink now, no one will know." My head, my thoughts, WTH??????

I shut them off, told them to SHUT UP!!! And I did not give in.

After some time you'll get over that urge. It's become like second nature for me to NOT pick up. It's not even an option today.

There is a lot of hard work to do in the beginning. There are old very bad habits that need to be broken.

I would do whatever it took to make me happy. Sure, I could be bored but I would go online, play some games, do a crossword puzzle, have some coffee, chocolate, feed myself a decent meal, watch a good movie and put my PJ's on and just relaxed.

People go home from work everyday and don't drink and they do what I listed up above. It will take some training, "re-habiting" yourself but it's going to take time and work.

Good luck!