Thread: AA and sponsors
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
digderidoo

Originally Posted by Keithj
At one meeting in my local town, they have all the newcomers (defined by less than a year sober) raise their hand, then all the old-timers (defined by more than a year sober) raise their hand in the attempt to let everyone know who they can choose for sponsors.

I say that this is BS. Well, I mean I don't say that out loud, but that's my personal opinion. A far, far better criterion is who has had a spiritual awakening as the result of the 12 steps. If someone can't unflinchingly declare this, and demonstrate it by their actions, look elsewhere for sponsorship.

If the whole point of a sponsor is to help guide someone through the 12 steps so they can have their own spiritual awakening as a result, then the sponsor needs to have experience with that.

I like the idea of a sponsor with multiple years of sobriety simply because they've been around to see what works and what doesn't. They have observed who stays sober and who does not. But I've seen people with 6 months have way more 'experience' with the steps than people with 20 years.
I agree with this totally and flabbergasted that a meeting has people raise their hands as to whether they have over a year or less than a year. Surely that causes those with less sobriety to feel less worthy somehow.

I have seen some in AA with years and years of sobriety and still have issues with aspects of the program. I agree that a sponsor should have worked the steps, if not they are not in a position to advise on the steps.

Paul