Thread: Bye
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 01:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sandrawg

Bye

Just wanted to say goodbye to you all and thanks very much-this forum has helped me considerably in dealing with the realizations I came to about my xabf, and I think there are so many great people here.

I'm leaving the forum because too many times people have responded to my posts to basically "quit trying to give other people advice and get help for yourself."

Frankly, I resent being told to "Get help" by people who've never met me and who only know me based on what I choose to reveal on this forum. Besides, I've already revealed that I'm going to meetings, reading books etc..it's only been a little over two weeks since my ex and I broke up ( a fact that these people either don't seem to be aware of, or seem to forget!), and i've done what I can in that limited time frame. But honestly, it's not even anyone's business.

Not only that, I think it's rude and counterproductive to try to stifle ANYONE or to suggest on an ADVICE board that someone should refrain from giving recommendations or suggestions.

It's also been suggested in a subtle fashion that I shouldn't try to speak of topics where I've had no experience.

Not everyone here has had experience in every single topic dealing with alcoholism, but does that mean they should keep their mouths shut if they have a suggestion?? I have a friend who's 21 and never been in a relationship, yet sometimes she gives me a completely fresh perspective on my relationships that I would've never considered. I wouldn't discount her advice, simply because she hasn't been in a relationship.

I think these attitudes are going to end up stifling this forum if they are directed at others and continue.

Sorry, but I'm a little war-weary still, and really don't have the will nor do I think it's important enough to keep fighting these battles on this forum-there are many other people here who can help, so I'm respectfully leaving. I wish you all the best.