Old 07-24-2009, 08:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

So basically, my partner lied to me, right? What am I to do? My gut feeling is to end things with him because he isn't staying the whole time in rehab that he is supposed to.
You don't have to decide this right now. Doing so is probably not advisable right now. Whether or not you choose to end it is not a decision of life or death, so all you need to do at this time is remind yourself of the boundaries you have set (hopefully you wrote them out. Do you know how to write out the three statements for boundary work? Let me know if not and I will send you what I have). Take this one step at a time. Forget about making a life-altering decision! Let him do what he is going to do, but meanwhile, you want to see your parents so focus on that. Don't let his actions and what he says control YOUR behavior. DON'T pick him up. Don't worry about his dental problem or how he should handle the medicine thing. (This dental thing is VERY common, especially for crack smokers and this facility should know how to handle this situation. You are not a professional, so let them handle it). Don't REACT emotionally or physically or psychically or anything. Don't let him see or hear your reactions. They feed on that. Just let him make his decision, let him make his own decisions about where he is going, who he will live with, whether or not to take meds. Keep reminding yourself of your boundaries, restate them to him "If you do this...I will do this...."

You will be fine.