Old 07-22-2009, 05:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Prizewinner
Midwest Griever

Unhappy Oh No! A terrible twist has occured!

Hello Friends,
My partner has really bad teeth due to poor/no dental care when growing up. He has had dentures and x-rays provided by his tribe for approx. six months now. It was his responsibility to have 14 teeth pulled and it still hadn't been done when he entered rehab 12 days ago.
So now apparently two of those twelve have been hurting him severely. The facility where he is arranged for him to have the two pulled today and it has been done. However, the facility has a no narcotics policy and he needed them after his extractions. He told me at first that they wouldn't let him take any painkillers after the surgery. Then he changed his story and said his counselors agreed that if I came and picked him up to bring him home, they would give the pills to me for me to "monitor." Doesn't that sound like a lot of BS? Would a facility agree to do such a thing?
While he's telling me this on my cell phone I get a call from where he is from his counselor and he tells me what is really going on. He says that they have "bent over backwards" for my partner and that he has been using his dental issues as a way to leave since he walked in the door. His counselor then went on to tell me that they had made an exception for my partner and they would administer painkillers to him and they would keep possession of them. His counselor asked me if I was still planning on picking him up and I told him no and he said, "good." They have even reduced his stay to Aug. 8th from 30 days to 28 to make it more convenient for me to come and get him on the weekend. I am SO glad his councelor called me with what is really going on.
But, what the heck is going on? My partner insists that he is leaving tomorrow and getting a ride from a girl he met in rehab who is transfering to a half-way house for six months. But I made it very clear to him that I am doing what I think is the right thing to do and that is my boundary I have set for myself.
So basically, my partner lied to me, right? What am I to do? My gut feeling is to end things with him because he isn't staying the whole time in rehab that he is supposed to.
You see, in his mind, he needs to get back home to get the other 12 teeth pulled while he is still on his mother's insurance but his coverage doesn't end until the end of September! If he stays the whole 28 days, he has two weeks before he starts back to college to get that done and then he has his day off from school on Wednesdays for after care visits to the dentist. THIS should be the plan.
My heart hurts when I can clearly see how an addict's mind works and how manipulative they can be.
Now all of this is closing in on me because my parents will be here in 48 hours and are staying for a week. (See earlier post.) If he leaves rehab early he can't stay here. And all of this was decided before he left that my parents should come and visit while he is gone.
Maybe a miracle will happen and he decides to stay. Please pray for me and with me that he does.