Old 07-21-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
shaun00

Originally Posted by BenMacdui View Post
Hello people, this is a question I raised on SoberRecovery chat yesterday (thanks greatly to those who responded yesterday ), and I wish to put it out to all of you for your thoughts.

I'm quite sociable, but this was greatly helped by the drink. Ever since I've stopped, I'm found myself much more socially awkward around people - and more boring and less witty as well. Since I spend much of my time meeting new people, I'm starting to feel that without a drink, I can't open up or be socially free and normal without a drink to help me, and it is getting me down. People just seem to be terse, and then the conversation dies. It's particularly unsettling since I am now looking for new friends who I can exist with outside the pub.

How many of you have had this issue in your early recovery, and what did you do about it? Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
alright ben.....sounds abit like my experience.

i used to think i was a social person....the life and soul of the party.

but it was all based on a lie..........the truth is i was a awkward ..shy
and never really learnt to converse or socialize without my "dutch courage"

it takes time ben..imo............its kinda like growing a new skin.

i talked at length about it with my sponsor and he suggested..(with passion) that i make the coffee at a large AA meeting.

put me infront of alot of new people (through gritted teeth) ..that helped...but it took time.

also college helped no end.....helped me to relax around people i dont know.

i suggest you do the opposite to what the fear tells you to do...ie..dont isolate.....in time your find your feet.

any social event away from a bar will be of benefit..