View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 10:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
TTOSBT
To Thine Own Self Be True

Originally Posted by rider View Post
Oh boy...went into the kitchen to start making dinner and realized that for 25 years I drank while I was cooking dinner. It's weird not to. I think the reason I am a darn good cook is that it gave me something to do while drinking! Lots and lots of practice every single night.

So just now I fled from the kitchen. I don't know how to cook without a drink on the counter or in my hand. Sigh...

Anyone else get that feeling that a key element to an activity is MISSING??
Oh
Did this take me back! I always made elaborate meals so I had an excuse to stay in the kitchen and drink. When I first got sober, I honestly could not cook. I went straight to the gym or a meeting almost every day for the first month or two. Good news, I lost quite a bit of weight. Bad news, my family ate a lot of heat-up meals and ate out a lot during that time. I also enlisted the help of my kids when I did cook cause I used to shoo them from the kitchen so I could drink.

So I have been sober 14 monthas now and I can cook now, lol. But I do not spend nearly as much time in the kitchen anymore. I would rather spend that time with my family or some other activity.

For me, I had to make a lot of adjustments as I went along to give myself the very best chance at long term sobriety. I have really learned how to take care of myself in this last year.

It has been a trip, but a GOOD trip. Enjoy it as much as you can. Savor every little victory, because there are miracles happening all around you.