View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Bamboozle
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
There is a world of difference between a problem drinker and an actual alcoholic. Here's a simplified distinction. A problem drinker if given a sufficient reason to stop, can and will stop. An Alcoholic on the other hand will keep drinking despite the consequences, they have lost the power of choice when it comes to drink.
By this definition the only "real alcoholics" are those who drink themselves into the grave. Anyone reading this is still alive…so…there are no “real alcoholics” here.

I know there are many different opinions at SR...but this is one of the few that I believe is absolutely dangerous.

This is not a competition to determine who's the worst off.

Alcoholism is just a fancy word for addiction.

Addiction has different stages. Many of these "problem drinkers” are in the beginning or in the middle stages of addiction. Addiction, no matter what the form, tends to be progressive to the negative....and it can rapidly deteriorate without a moment's notice.

I stopped drinking with therapy and much needed antidepressants. Before my last relapse I had 80 days sober…and the suicidal thoughts were unbearable…so out of desperation I drank rather than kill myself.

I got long needed help from my doctor and therapist and quit after 2.5 weeks of drinking. This last time was the hardest ever to quit.

I have made it past 100 days sober…and I haven’t had a suicidal thought in nearly a month. Things are starting to fall into place.

I was not/am not end-stage. Was I on track to getting to that point? You betcha.

Many “problem drinkers” are on their way to being end-stage and we all would do well to remember this. There are many guests who read this forum every day. Let’s not give them an excuse to keep drinking because “they aren’t as bad off”.