Notices

Problem drinking vs. alcoholism

Old 07-17-2009, 12:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Problem drinking vs. alcoholism

Could someone please help me to understand the difference between a problem drinker and an alcoholic?
Old 07-17-2009, 03:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

I think they are both labels. And could be considered the same thing. Are you trying to decide which one you are and hoping you are just a problem drinker not an alcoholic?
I'd rather focus on the solution instead of a label. I do feel I'm an alcoholic and have been a problem drinker ever since I picked up the first drink. It's been years (over 20 in fact) and drinking just isn't working for me anymore. I drink and problems arise---problem drinker. All the people I used to drink with have either gone beyond that and are living life or the ones that are still in the bars..... well they will still be in the bars in ten years or maybe won't be here at all. I don't see how they can be all that happy. (And I wasn't happy sitting at home drinking either.) I'm sure they have or are starting to have some of the same medical problems I am having. So foregoing worrying about a label to forever stick on myself, I am doing what I have to do to not drink and to take care of me. It's the only me I have and the rest of my life days are dwindling, so now is the time to live my life.
Not sure that answers your question in the way you want.......

If drinking is interfering with your work, you're probably a heavy drinker. If work is interfering with your drinking, you're probably an alcoholic. ~Author Unknown
Old 07-17-2009, 03:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is a world of difference between a problem drinker and an actual alcoholic. Here's a simplified distinction. A problem drinker if given a sufficient reason to stop, can and will stop. An Alcoholic on the other hand will keep drinking despite the consequences, they have lost the power of choice when it comes to drink.

You may find it helpful to get a copy of The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. Read The 1st portion of the book, it is dedicated to helping you find out your truth about alcohol.

All alcoholics have a common physical trait that makes them a distinct entity. It is called the phenomena of craving. When we drink, a craving for more develops. What's your experience with this, can you take a drink and then stop, or once the alcohol enters your bloodstream do you immediately want more. It's good you are asking these question, feel free to PM me if I can be of help.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Rob B.

I found this to be, initially, a difficult question. Also, for me, dangerous, but necessary. I overanalyze and intellectualize and found it hard to move beyond, but it is an essential first step question, obviously.

What does it mean, cravings? Seems simple enough and for many it probably is. Does the desire to drink equal a craving? I am over intellectualizing, but that's me. That question was where I was at in the progression of my alcoholism. Did the desire to drink, and consequently... the next drink... become realized despite the consequences. Whatever those consequences may have been... for some it may have been death or jail, because that's all that's left... but some alcoholics are not at that point... consequences could be... a p1ssed off wife, missed soccer games that your kids are playing in, social isolation, drunk driving, dangerous activities.... The accrual of such may develop insidiously and may not even be noticed by, or the importance of which may be missed by, the alcoholic. Consequences that were in place were not even seen, and the alcoholic desires the drink.

I used to think the craving thing was what Ray Milland acted out so well in "The Lost Weekend"... the look in his eyes.... But I have come to realize that craving isn't necessarily what's depicted in movies....

If an alcoholic is going to raise his own bottom, this question is potentially not helpful. That's why the Big Book and a sponsor, someone like Rob B (who really understands this), is essential.

And Rob B mentions reading the first part of the Big Book, I've read it 5 or 6 times in the last 10 months. It does discuss problem drinker and the "real" alcoholic... but there is a disclaimer... that there can be all sorts of different expressions of alcoholism.

This can be seen as some sort of exercise in semantics... it is not... but the semantics really screwed with my head... but that's just me, I over analyze... but it was I journey I had to take... That journey included lot's of meeting, listening to lots of alcoholics and a sponsor. SR helped, ultimately, but SR would not have answered the question for me alone....

Mark
Old 07-17-2009, 07:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

Just labels to me. I drank too much, if I continued what I was doing, it would have killed me. I suppose by that definition, it was a problem. I have done a lot of things to excess, become dependent and had severe cravings.. I wonder really by that philosophy how many labels I should have. Foodaholic, alka seltzer aholic, bookaholic, smokeaholic, forget it.. just labels. But, again.. drinking was killing me. So I stopped, and now I'm a non drinker. Using a label has never helped me get or stay sober. For some people it is helpful to believe that they are diseased and unable to do anything about it without spiritual awakening. I stopped drinking, got therapy, and moved on with life. If that means I never had a problem, that's ok with me

Is there something more specific that you're wondering?
Old 07-17-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

My disease is three-fold. I have a physical allergy, a mental
obsession and a spiritual malady. Not all hard-drinkers have all three components of this disease.

If I take one drink, I will lose all control of my liquor consumption. If I dwell
on the "good old" drinking days, I will be obsessed with re-living
them. If I attempt to choose not to drink "one day at a time", I will
find that my "so-called willpower" becomes practically
nonexistent".

When I gave up nicotine, I simply choose not to smoke "one day at a
time" and it became easier for me each day. When I tried to give up
alcohol by choosing not to drink "one day at a time", it became harder
for me each day. My problem was not just alcohol. For me "not
drinking" did not treat my alcoholism. I was uncomfortable in my own
skin before I took my first drink as a teenager and I returned to
being uncomfortable in my own skin after I took my last drink.
Alcohol was my solution for 30+ years and did not become my problem
until my final years of drinking when it failed to give me comfort
before it made me blackout.

It was not until I recognized and addressed my "real problem" that
sobriety became comfortable. My real problem was in the form of the
"Four Horse-man of the Apocalypse " (Terror, frustration, bewilderment
and despair). Until I found a way of chasing them away, sobriety was
not worth having.

What keeps me sober today is what allows me to be comfortable in my own skin; serenity, humility and benevolence. I find that if; I practice these principles in all of my affairs, alcohol does enter into my life or into my mind.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I agree with Smacked on this one. Doesn't matter what you call it, if it damages your life. When I drank, there was a problem. I am an alcoholic.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Trying to figure out the difference between the two kept me drinking long after I should have stopped.

I refused to believe I was an alcoholic (when I certainly was) by simply saying I was a problem drinker.

In my opinion (which isn't worth a pile of doggie doo, lol) a person who has problems due to drinking, and still continues to drink, suffers from alcoholism.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Resident

I agree with RobC and what he has said here has helped me stay sober. I quite because of external pressure and remain quit for external pressure. I have no cravings for alcohol and if I listened to people that said you can't quit for someone else and believed them I am still be drinking.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please see if this info answers your question

Here's how alcoholism typically progresses:

SOCIAL DRINKERS — Most Americans are characterized as social drinkers. Statistics indicate, however, that one of every 16 drinkers will become alcoholic.

WARNING SIGNS — The individual begins to drink more frequently and more than his associates. He drinks for confidence or to tolerate or escape problems. No party or other occasion is complete without a couple of drinks. Driving and drinking become routine.

EARLY ALCOHOLISM — With increasing frequency, the individual drinks too much. "Blackouts," or temporary amnesia, occur during or following drinking episodes. He drinks more rapidly than others, sneaks drinks and in other ways conceals the quantity that he drinks. He resents any reference to his drinking habits.

BASIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual begins to lose control as to the time, place and amount of his drinking. He gets drunk unintentionally. He hides and protects his liquor supply. He drinks to overcome the hangover from his prior drinking. He tries new patterns of drinking as to time and place of drinking. He attempts cures by moving to new locations or by changing his drinking companions.

CHRONIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual becomes a loner in his drinking. He develops alibis, excuses and rationalizations to cover up or explain his drinking. Personality and behavior changes occur that affect all relationships — family, employment, community. Extended binges, physical tremors, hallucinations and delirium, complete rejection of social reality, malnutrition with accompanying illness and disease and early death all occur as chronic alcoholism progresses.

Source: American Medical Association
and......
hat is moderation?

According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control

Moderate drinking is no more than
2 drinks a day for men..1 for women

They consider a drink to be
12 oz. of beer..5 oz. of wine...1 1/2 oz of liquor.

Your body and mind processes all 3 toxins equally
so drinking only wine or only liquor or only beer
or mixing them is of no importance.
They all do the same damage.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

heres my understanding....and my experience.

A problem drinker....has the ability to stop or reduce...they may drink heavily and appear to be alcoholics.....but when external pressures become enough they stop..they have that ability when need arises to stop.
that dont mean they stop forever just missing that powerlessness...they have the ability to adapt there drinking when needed....so you could say they still control there drinking.

Heres why i believe im different from a problem drinker.

1..ever since i was a young.un..my drinking has been different from my peers.
within a couple of years drinking i could see the difference...people would say.."shaun loves his beer".....
i always carried on drinking long after everyone had gone home.
even if i was sick i would try to carry on drinking.
once i commence drinking i lost the ability to stop...i could not.
this is the physical allergy...if you like......im like a clockwork toy ...once im started i WILL NOT STOP.....until i pass out.

2.at some point through my drinking career i had to stop briefly.....lots of reasons.
jail........hospital.......lack of money.
or later on i was so sick of it.......i would get to hospital and come out sober and really want to stop.
i didnt get the physical allergy because i wasnt drinking........but along comes the mental part.
let me try to put mine into words...........when i wasnt drinking i was plague by thoughts and feelings about drinking........pretty much every waking hour i was pestered by it.....i become irriatable.....aggresive.......quick tempered.
suicidal.....dreamt about it.
and when i saw someone on tv drinking i could feel that scotch hitting the back of my throat...
After time the memory of the horrendous consequences of my drinking begin to fade........shortly it becomes "not that bad"........the doctor just told me that to frighten me...blah blah blah.
i have lost the ability to bring to mind where alcohol takes me....thats pretty amazing dont you think?
i mean i lived on the street....picking up cig butts....going in the trash to find food and robbing and begging.
i can bring some of it to mind.....but was it really that bad.
thats nuts right?......if you saw me drinking again after i managed to stop ..get of the street.....get a roof.....put on weight
and i went back to drinking......you would think im nuts.
that is the mental ...the alcoholic insanity......
repeated it again and again thinking its gonna be different....i can handle it.

3..heres a list of "bits" of me that caused and still do cause on occasions problems in my life..they create unhappiness in me and others.

Ego........mine was and still can be MASSIVE...a few years ago i thought i was god.......and if the job was going i would have applied for it.

controlling.......one of the ones very prominant in my life..
i try to control things to my own benifit all the time....i seem to want to interfear all the time....thinking no one else can achieve the result like me.
"let me do it for god sake"....is something i would say to my wife all the time.
if i couldnt control it i was at a lose and frustrated.

self centred....there wasnt much id do unless it was to my benefit...
my first thought is me and how to get more for me.

there are more ...but the point is how can i believe....trust something else if my whole life revolves around me......it blocks my path to god.
that is what i define as my spiritual malady.
its my life...revolving around me.....and only me.

i believe im a alcoholic and i believe im very similar to other alcoholics.
im not a problem drinker.....maybe in the year dot i may have been...who cares.

i heard this and i like it ..it kind of sums on that up and i totally relate.

a problem drinker stops and so does his problems.
an alcoholic stops and his problems really get started.

sorry its long......but i feel its important.........

shaun
Old 07-17-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There is no official body which draws a distinction between problem drinker and alcoholic. All you will get here is a bunch of opinions.

I don't know why you are asking the question but I have seen this debate raged on in this forum many a time. I don't think it ends up being helpful because ultimately no one is right or everyone is right.

I think a better thing to do is ask yourself or ask us why you are asking the question. Is it because you are wondering if you are really an alcoholic? Then maybe you should read specifically about the symptoms of alcoholism or the feelings that typical alcoholics have towards alcohol or read CarolD's post.

I just think it is difficult because if people put up here that problem drinkers aren't alcoholics and they don't have problems and then you end up deciding you identify as such and you no longer have a problem, it is very hard to know whether it is the addict voice that has convinced you of that or not.

I don't know— I guess I just feel like it is every alcoholic's dream to consider themselves a "problem drinker" and to define problem drinker as someone who drinks maybe a little too much but isn't an alcoholic. Oh wait, I thought I was a problem drinker for seven years. Awesome.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In theory, I think that all drinking is problematic. That might sounds totalitarian and extremist, but I've developed a very strong opinion regarding alcohol. The fact that it's a socially accepted drug does not mean it's not dangerous and unhealthy. I can't think of a single reason to condone drinking - in any amount.

In practice, I choose to be an ex-drinker. I use several tools to remain sober, including spirituality and cognitive techniques. In my personal experience, labels have always made matters worse for me. I know that many people may disagree with this, but that's what woks for me. Like BohemianZen said, it's better to focus on solutions.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sfgirl View Post
There is no official body which draws a distinction between problem drinker and alcoholic. All you will get here is a bunch of opinions.

I don't know why you are asking the question but I have seen this debate raged on in this forum many a time. I don't think it ends up being helpful because ultimately no one is right or everyone is right.

I think a better thing to do is ask yourself or ask us why you are asking the question. Is it because you are wondering if you are really an alcoholic? Then maybe you should read specifically about the symptoms of alcoholism or the feelings that typical alcoholics have towards alcohol or read CarolD's post.

I just think it is difficult because if people put up here that problem drinkers aren't alcoholics and they don't have problems and then you end up deciding you identify as such and you no longer have a problem, it is very hard to know whether it is the addict voice that has convinced you of that or not.

I don't know— I guess I just feel like it is every alcoholic's dream to consider themselves a "problem drinker" and to define problem drinker as someone who drinks maybe a little too much but isn't an alcoholic. Oh wait, I thought I was a problem drinker for seven years. Awesome.
sure the debate will always rage on...but its good if it stays a debate and not a angry flaming match.

debate is good imo.....i have my opinions but i like to hear other views and i also know that my way aint the only way.

i dont think that problem drinkers dont have problems that need addressing.
far from it........but i do think there is a fair bit of different between an alkie and a problem drinker.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Rigorous Honesty is a prerequisite to any exploration in regards to this question. Much investigation as well....

This question used to drive me crazy too, sfgirl.

Not any more. There is a difference and to me it's important. That craving thing... that drinking despite the negative consequences and effects on others... That "hole in the soul"...

I wanted to say I was a heavy drinker, some days I can almost convince myself... but that is when I am not rigorously honest.

Watch Intervention - Brett. There is an alcoholic. The hole in his soul gaping, his family suffering.

I know what you are saying sfgirl... however... For some of us, recovery is dependent on this distinction.

Mark
Old 07-17-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
There is a world of difference between a problem drinker and an actual alcoholic. Here's a simplified distinction. A problem drinker if given a sufficient reason to stop, can and will stop. An Alcoholic on the other hand will keep drinking despite the consequences, they have lost the power of choice when it comes to drink.
By this definition the only "real alcoholics" are those who drink themselves into the grave. Anyone reading this is still alive…so…there are no “real alcoholics” here.

I know there are many different opinions at SR...but this is one of the few that I believe is absolutely dangerous.

This is not a competition to determine who's the worst off.

Alcoholism is just a fancy word for addiction.

Addiction has different stages. Many of these "problem drinkers” are in the beginning or in the middle stages of addiction. Addiction, no matter what the form, tends to be progressive to the negative....and it can rapidly deteriorate without a moment's notice.

I stopped drinking with therapy and much needed antidepressants. Before my last relapse I had 80 days sober…and the suicidal thoughts were unbearable…so out of desperation I drank rather than kill myself.

I got long needed help from my doctor and therapist and quit after 2.5 weeks of drinking. This last time was the hardest ever to quit.

I have made it past 100 days sober…and I haven’t had a suicidal thought in nearly a month. Things are starting to fall into place.

I was not/am not end-stage. Was I on track to getting to that point? You betcha.

Many “problem drinkers” are on their way to being end-stage and we all would do well to remember this. There are many guests who read this forum every day. Let’s not give them an excuse to keep drinking because “they aren’t as bad off”.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

A problem or heavy drinker could stop if he would. An alcoholic would stop if he could.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The difference is not in the amount one drinks or even how far down one has gone. It is an internal qualitative difference. It is important because the path to recover may be very different.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Many “problem drinkers” are on their way to being end-stage and we all would do well to remember this.
I think this is a good point.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i respect your opinion bam............i just dont agree with it..

your right it not a competition......I'm grateful im not a problem drinker.

my alcoholism was extremely apparent.....and it was extremely apparent when i wasn't drinking..

problem drinkers have a constant dilemma imo...and i would have way to much room to maneuver.

i had no room to maneurver.........once i read the big book it become extremely apparent that i was an alcoholic for all the reason in my first post.

alcoholics can stop and stay stopped..........if they get the right information too..
problem drinkers tend to stop....when things get tight.

thats my experience....

i believe that on Sr there are plenty of alcoholics....that dont get the right imformation....or prefer not to listen.

generally they are discontented and often return to drinking.

problem drinkers tend get sober....and almost immediately feel better..
life becomes good real quick.

unless of course there are other problems involved....

cubile is right....it not the amount we drink or where we end up.

i know a few problem drinkers that drink more in a day than i ever did.

mostly because of wife pressure they stop every month or so...

my last wife gave me an ultimatum......i drank more...and i loved her dearly.