View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 04:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
tromboneliness

Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
When a bank forgives a loan, they essentially say "we're never going to get our money back, and we give up on trying." They do NOT say "oh, that money we loaned you? Yeah, well, you aren't really responsible for it, it's okay, you don't have to pay it back, life is full of rainbows and unicorns, and we don't mind that you didn't pay it back." Nope, banks don't do that. They say "we're never going to get what you owe us, so we will quit accepting it. We do not remove from you your responsibility to pay it back, and we're dinging your credit rating, and we will never give you another loan, but we're going to quit wasting our time trying to get our money back from you."

In the sense that a bank forgives a loan, I have forgiven my parents.
This is such a great description! My favorite program speaker (John MacDougal) says, "Forgiveness is giving up hope for a better past." That's what we're talking about here. Forgiveness doesn't mean "it's all good," with all the attendant rainbows and unicorns -- it means we're moving on. Period. Getting on with what makes our lives better, going forward.

And dinging their credit rating.

T