View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

I recommend you Google "stages of alcoholism" and "symptoms of alcohol withdrawal". Reading just a link or two will help you recognize what has been and is going on with you and your husband.

My uncle was an alcoholic and dropped dead at 50 from his undiagnosed liver disease with no warning. My father is 72 and has been drinking since his early teen years, non-stop since 1989, and he is still alive (we don't know how). He's miserable with heart disease, lung disease, and liver failure but he's still alive.

Alcoholism is a progressive, incurable, fatal disease that can only be stopped by the alcoholic. It doesn't matter what any doctor says or does, or whether or not your husband's symptoms are a result of alcoholism, he needs to stop drinking (although I'm not saying he shouldn't go to the doctor, he should).

And don't fool yourself into thinking that you don't have a problem too. Just because you only drink a 6-pack a week does not mean you don't have an issue. I never thought I was an alcoholic either; none of us ever does. We call that Denial.

Try A.A. and Al-Anon.