View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Waterman

Friends that have a major problem

What should I do, if anything? My best friend(who I grew-up with) and his wife have a major alcohol issue. They have 2 young sons, with the oldest one sometimes asking "what's wrong with mom?". Both parents have good jobs, a very nice home, etc. Problem is, when either or both parents are home, they are drinking. The mom usually has 2 days off a week, and usually the first day is getting wasted, the second is being ill with a hangover. The kids rarely ever get to go to school activities after-hours, because it interferes with drinking time. The oldest kid knows mom stays in bed alot, and I'm sure these kids know they aren't drinking Cool-Aid. When I quit 3 months ago, I told them that I was going to set an example, and hoped they would follow. They drink more now than ever before. They also said they wouldn't drink when I came over, and I told them to keep on, it wouldn't bother me any. Neighbors know what's going on, and the local store has asked me if they are drinking all the beer that they buy, because they often tell the store-keeper that "company is coming over", to justify such hefty purchases. It is probably not my place to say anything, but should I?...just wondering..