View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 10:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
baldjim
jimbo

Originally Posted by hendershot View Post
I am not a Doctor, so I only know what others have told me or I have read. But I think it depends on how you define "physical" addiction. I think you mean acute withrawal, that is that the bloodstream has gotten most of the alcy out. This is far from ending any kind of physical addiction though. In terms of brain chemistry, changes in dopamine levels and stuff, that takes months to go back to normal. "Flare-ups" of neurological cravings are physical in nature, in that it isn't merely an emotional or situational response, and can occur for over a year of sobriet intermittently for some.
Also, those who espouse the mainstream disease theory, liken addiction to the flipping of a switch in the part of the brain that manages stress. So that in the future, stress provoking situations trigger physical cravings for alcohol/drugs. Addiction rewires the brain to equate being high/drunk with survival instincts. Further, once the switch is thrown it is impossible to unthrow it. Addiction then, in a "physical"/disease form lasts for our entire lives if we are indeed addicts. Sorry for the long-winded post, I find this stuff kind of interesting.
great post