Notices

Afraid to comment on my progess

Old 07-12-2009, 02:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Afraid to comment on my progess

I meant to spell "progress" above...It's been a good few days, and I am thankful. I'll be working alone for about 15 hours today, so that will be a "test". I just think about how great it would be to be 'out of the woods'. Y'all have a good day.......
Old 07-12-2009, 03:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
jimbo

i'm still not drinking ... it cant be physical addiction now approaching 7 weeks

but part of me just wants to get drunk even though i would be devastated if i fell off of the wagon ...strange the way your mind plays games with you aint it ,you are doing really well hang in there
Old 07-12-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I tried to install a link, but it isn't working
Old 07-13-2009, 09:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by baldjim View Post
it cant be physical addiction now approaching 7 weeks
I am not a Doctor, so I only know what others have told me or I have read. But I think it depends on how you define "physical" addiction. I think you mean acute withrawal, that is that the bloodstream has gotten most of the alcy out. This is far from ending any kind of physical addiction though. In terms of brain chemistry, changes in dopamine levels and stuff, that takes months to go back to normal. "Flare-ups" of neurological cravings are physical in nature, in that it isn't merely an emotional or situational response, and can occur for over a year of sobriet intermittently for some.
Also, those who espouse the mainstream disease theory, liken addiction to the flipping of a switch in the part of the brain that manages stress. So that in the future, stress provoking situations trigger physical cravings for alcohol/drugs. Addiction rewires the brain to equate being high/drunk with survival instincts. Further, once the switch is thrown it is impossible to unthrow it. Addiction then, in a "physical"/disease form lasts for our entire lives if we are indeed addicts. Sorry for the long-winded post, I find this stuff kind of interesting.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
jimbo

Originally Posted by hendershot View Post
I am not a Doctor, so I only know what others have told me or I have read. But I think it depends on how you define "physical" addiction. I think you mean acute withrawal, that is that the bloodstream has gotten most of the alcy out. This is far from ending any kind of physical addiction though. In terms of brain chemistry, changes in dopamine levels and stuff, that takes months to go back to normal. "Flare-ups" of neurological cravings are physical in nature, in that it isn't merely an emotional or situational response, and can occur for over a year of sobriet intermittently for some.
Also, those who espouse the mainstream disease theory, liken addiction to the flipping of a switch in the part of the brain that manages stress. So that in the future, stress provoking situations trigger physical cravings for alcohol/drugs. Addiction rewires the brain to equate being high/drunk with survival instincts. Further, once the switch is thrown it is impossible to unthrow it. Addiction then, in a "physical"/disease form lasts for our entire lives if we are indeed addicts. Sorry for the long-winded post, I find this stuff kind of interesting.
great post
Old 07-14-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
where the light is

When I was about 11 months sober (I'm 19 months sober now), it seemed that very few people wanted to comment on my upcoming one year sobriety aniversary. I was getting nervous, not wanting to project into the future.

I was misinterpreting "one day at a time." It's not "don't drink one day at a time" - it's "stay spiritually fit one day at a time." Big difference.

Anyway, at this time I received a phone call from an older gentleman who would hit 6 months sobriety at about the same time as my one year anniversary. Point blank he said: "I'm going to get to six months and you are going to get to one year, right?"

I felt like a weight was lifted. Someone actually showing that kind of confidence in himself & in me. I didn't have to be scared. I could be certain that provided I practiced my program, I would be just fine.

We do get "out of the woods". We do recover.

How about that!
Old 07-14-2009, 04:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good work, Waterman. Keep us posted. Congrats on your sober time.
chip