Old 07-12-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Prizewinner
Midwest Griever

Thanks so much to all of you for your swift responses to my thread. And please keep them coming as I need all of your support more than I can express. I have already found an Al-Anon meeting for tonight located about a mile from my home. I should go for sure because I think I will feel much better after I go. I even felt better going with my partner to NA meetings the past few weeks and I'm not even an addict!
As a side issue, I am going to invite my parents, who are retired, to come and visit while he is gone. They do not know I'm gay and think my partner is just a "roommate," but that is a whole 'nother matter and an issue I have to deal with at some point in time. My story is that the "roommate" is gone to visit his sister in the Twin Cities for a week. My parents are from the "bible belt" and are deeply religious and it would devastate them to find out that their only child is gay. I feel that they really don't need to be put through the trauma of my coming out since they live over 700 miles away and are in their mid 70's and set in their ways. The past few days I thought of having them come right away this coming weekend and stay for a week in case my partner wants to come home after detox. In other words, get them in and get them out before he possibly comes home. But there is SO much preparation in having them come up to visit. We do not live in a pigpen by any means, so don't get the wrong idea. We have a one bedroom apartment with a fireplace. But my mother's standards of "clean" are so beyond the norm that I feel pressured to have everything spick and span by the time they arrive that it stresses me out beyond belief. So I think I'm going to be selfish and tell them not to come until the week after. That way I'll have more time to clean the way I know my mother would like for the place to be. Besides, my partner isn't going to be back home until the 8th or 9th of August anyway, so what difference does it make? I'm actually trying to control a situation myself instead of letting him be in charge as to what happens when and how. We discussed this whole matter before he went into rehab and got really angry and told me to get them here for their visit ASAP thinking he wouldn't be at the facility that long. Well now I know that's not the case, because I'm determined for him to be there 30 days.
OMG, my partner just called me AGAIN. He said he feels a lot better today after talking to his counselor about how he is feeling. He told his counselor, however, that after he detoxes that he will want to leave this coming Saturday. His counselor AGREED telling him to keep giving the program a chance and that they will revisit the issue at the end of next week. Can this be true?? Or is the counselor just giving him enough feedback to get through next week so my partner can see that things aren't that bad there? Is it some sort of psychological twist he is putting on the passage of time?