View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

I'm sorry this has happened to you and I know how confused you are. Nothing an addict does makes any sense and they constantly contradict themselves. I am no mind-reader (and much of what you drive yourself crazy doing when you have an addict in your life is try to read their minds) but it sounds to me like he has done you one huge favor. My first inclination, given that it appears that you are merely confused and bewildered at this point, and haven't yet been sucked into his sick world, is to thank your lucky stars and move on with your life. He will become more and more contradictory, nothing he does will make any sense to you, and you won't be able to reconcile his words with his behaviors. You will drive yourself insane.

My dear brother, my best friend for life, became addicted to these prescription pain meds when he had back surgery at age 23. He kept it hidden from me and our family for many years, and by the time it became obvious, it was way too late. He is now 38 years old and has JUST gotten clean. And it's a wait-see with our fingers crossed, holding our breath, from here on out.

Don't let the fact that they're "just" prescription drugs fool you; they are as insidious as any street drug like heroin or crack cocaine. An addict will do anything to get the drug and that becomes their ONLY motivation in life. And when they can't get their drug of choice, they will use anything and everything to tide them over until they can.

My brother (and his wife) had multiple surgeries just to get prescriptions! He was arrested for forging prescriptions, which he had done for years. He wrote prescriptions in multiple people's names. She (the wife) was an ER nurse and would steal pain meds to shoot up at home. They would crush pills and somehow shoot them up. When all the sources for getting these pain meds ran dry, they took to buying (and selling) street drugs: heroin, crack, powder, whatever. It didn't matter. It didn't matter that they didn't (and couldn't) pay their bills anymore and that their home was in foreclosure.
It didn't matter that they had three small children at home either. She would actually take her kids on drug deals! My brother hasn't seen his children in YEARS. He abandoned them (for the most part) when he got arrested 5 years ago, and after that left town and hasn't seen them in at least two and a half years.

As they say in Al-Anon: YOU DIDN’T CAUSE IT, YOU CAN’T CURE IT, AND YOU CAN’T CONTROL IT. If I were you, I would go to the library or do a web search and read about CoDependence (start with Melody Beattie) to educate yourself. See if codependence applies to you and if it does, try Al-Anon. But any way you slice it, I would run like hell.