Thread: Bottom
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 09:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
olinda1

"My ex bf is like that as well - he is the luckiest guy in the world, whatever happens things magically appear for him. I believe he will outlive us all."

uh, because I don't know how to select and highlight quotes yet. Anyway...

Here is how lucky ABF is: Got his degree later in life (40) and after a lifetime of waiting tables and bartending, got a solid job in Public Health Dept. Very decent salary, benefits (a first for him) but he didn't like the strange (9-5) hours (hangovers in AM a problem) and wanted to work outdoors. Soooo... found a SWEET job managing a recreational lake: house on lake site provided, NO RENT, found great tenants for house he already owned, PLUS salary was 42K, more than he'd earned at public health job, PLUS deluxe benefit package, PLUS company vehicle provided, BOAT provided, duties basically supervising staff at bait shop, keeping peace in campgrounds, patrolling lake, etc. Do I need to say that soon he took a few too many peeps up on offers of joining them for a drink, had serious problems following rules on how to do the paperwork (he knew better than they did), and within 4 months came up with idea on own that he needed rehab b/c he was drinking a fifth of whiskey a day plus wine and was literally a hideous orange/yellow shade. He took a 30 day leave to go to rehab at the peak of the lake season, leaving his place a filthy mess and failing to arrange for his large dogs to be taken care of properly during his absence so they tore it up even more and then when a staffperson took the dogs to her place to help him out while he was in the "hospital" (as he referred to it), they killed her cat and she quit, forcing the General Manager to take her place operating the bait shop. ABF got out of rehab, got written up for "unsanitary premises" but was kept on (he had a contract but not unbreakable). After staying sober for 46 days, he began drinking again and got caught (unbeknownst to him) buying liquor at a store while driving his company vehicle. The company surprised him the next day when he was three sheets to the wind by demanding a pee test on the spot. Hmmm, apparently they aren't foolproof, because he PASSED!! This made him more cocky than ever, and he kept drinking. The Lake closed November 1, and he'd put in a month of low profile decent behavior, but SHOCKINGLY they did not renew his contract for the next season (he couldn't believe it).
By the time he had to vacate the premises, he was drinking so much he just passed out every day about 4pm and after several extensions, was warned to get out or the police would be called. He did not leave, and the General Manager finally came in person and found him passed out amidst an even worse unsanitary mess; the GM actually had to call his next of kin (brother)to come get him and his stuff out of the house. The brother took him straight to to detox for a week. Still, he got to draw his salary for the last three months of the contract. I thought he was sooo lucky to have a salary for three months while he found another job. But ZOINKS!! he informed me he was filing for unemployment. I was like, uh, I'm doubting that you can get it, seeing as how you were basically shitcanned from the job, had to be literally dragged out of the place, they had to replace the carpeting in the whole house, and you left for 30 days at peak of the season for rehab. Not sure, but you know I really kinda think it's a no go. NOOOOO ---they protested it , but he GOT unemployment.

A few days after the claim was approved, he got a letter explaining that Obama's plan extended benefits from 6 months to at least one year.

He's been drinking and making $1800 a month for six months now. Oh....and COOL!!!! the new student loan relief plan means he doesn't have to pay more than $10 a month on his student loans, instead of $250!!

I know this was disgracefully long, but OMG!!!! Can you believe this? Me? If I drive 10 feet out of my driveway before I put my seatbelt on, there are red flashing lights in my rearview.

Totally seriously, this all makes me wonder about the higher power and the existence of karma.