Old 07-08-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
BigSis
On a tear

I don't think there is an organized religion around that accepts that Alanon (or any of the 12 step programs) as "religions".

A big thing is the religious aspect. I wouldn't say I'm athiest, maybe agnostic. I believe there's rhyme and reason to everything, that there are no accidents and that there is lessons to be learned in everything and that there is an overall path that we're supposed to follow, but the organized religion and God and Jesus or whatever else, I'm not sure I can get into believing that. I believe that there's something, but I don't know what and I don't really believe that it's one divine being. If the alanon steps are devoting myself to a higher power, I don't think that I can take it seriously. To me, saying that everything is in Gods hands is like saying that you don't have to accept responsibility for your own actions.
When I first started, I used the power of the program as my Higher Power... after all, if I can believe in the power of the program of Weight Watchers (which I joined 4 or 5 times, btw) based solely on the fact that they have helped millions of people over the years, I can certainly apply the same logic to a 12-step program.

For me, the spirituality of the program (FAR, far different from religion) is an essential piece... but I also believe no one NEEDS to define a Higher Power for it to work. Learning to Let Go is hhhhhhaaaaarrrrrddddddd. I am guessing 100% of the folks actually working an Alanon program have struggled with not being able to control their own destiny... have balked at giving up the reins... have dug in our heels at the idea of not being able to FIX something that is obviously broken.

But I try to think of my relationship with HP like the relationship between a baseball pitcher and his catcher. It doesn't matter if the guy behind the plate is God, Buddha, Jesus, Mohammed, Brahama, Great Spirit, Gaia, or the Great Green Spaghetti Monster.

It don't matter Who's catching, MY job is to pitch... for me, it is all about the "Letting Go".

It takes time and experience to realize that the universe will work most stuff out JUST FINE... if not BETTER without my input. A lot of time. Months and years. But I had to start somewhere and those first Alanon meetings was where I started...and Letting Go has brought to me a great sense of serenity that I did NOT have before I started... you know, back when I was powerful and in charge of stuff.

I wish you the best. ((hugs))