Old 07-08-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
KariSue

I am an atheist with an AS. I went to a few NarAnon meetings.

They start out by going around the room taking turns reading the steps and a few other prepared statements. I read on my turn but I didn't get the higher power parts. If I would have, I would have just said "I'd rather not read, thanks." At the end, as a group, they all recited the serenity prayer together. I just stayed silent as that was the most comfortable for me.

Like you, I feel like turning something over to a higher power is like saying the responsibility is not mine and not in my control yet I feel it is. However, occasionally other people will say it and that is their belief so it didn't bother me. Besides, the person saying it was so visibly miserable that I figured whatever gave them some relief was okay with me as long as I wasn't preached to or told what to think or what to say... and I wasn't.

You never have to speak. Speaking is voluntary. The members take turns leading the meetings and the subject content is up to them. In my few meetings, it was not religious at all. In fact, at my first meeting, the man said that if you don't believe in a higher power then you can pretend that you do. Lol! That wouldn't work for me but I suspected he wasn't a believer either.

I didn't go back as my situation wasn't as bad as most there and it kind of made me depressed to see everyone so sad. That said, if my situation changes I would go back. The pros outweighed the cons. The part I liked best is that I was given a list of people who I could call anytime of the day or night.

What will it hurt to try? If you don't like it, you don't have to go a second time and if you do it might be very helpful for you.

KariSue