Thread: Bottom
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sandrawg

Honey I'd give you a big hug if I could. We've all been there-the stress, the disappointment, the frustration...

I think you hit on something there. I've been talking a lot to friend in recovery, to try to get inside my xabf's brain because nothing that happened btwn us makes sense to me. He explained, the behaviors thoughts and feelings of an alcoholic are always there...even when he/she gets sober. it's a way of life, a way of thinking, that non-addicts can't understand. They are simultaneously egocentric, and hate themselves.

Has he ever tried therapy, or going to AA? Perhaps if he got at the root of what pain he wanted to kill with alcohol in the first place...?

But there I go, trying to analyze other people again. I do this about my xabf constantly, even though we parted on Friday.

You need to look out for yourself now. You're probably a bit shellshocked. Do what feels good to you at this moment. You need to cry, cry. I've been crying a ton, lord knows. You need lots of self-comfort.

Originally Posted by olinda1 View Post
So, I guess acknowledging the problem isn't really all that important? Or is it like he realizes he is an alcoholic in the chemically dependent sense, but doesn't not realize the behaviors, thoughts, and feelings which are part and parcel of it?