Old 07-03-2009, 06:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

As a recovering addict whose drug of choice was opiates, please, please, please be very careful with the Percoet. I was addicted to these type of pills for over 25 years and it was pure hell getting off of them. I will celebrate 4 years clean and sober this month and although I have had several painful medical conditions happen, including a fractured pelvis and I currently have 4 ruptured discs in my back which I will need surgery soon on, I am terrified to take any pain pills other than anti inflammatories. Opiates are very addicting, although some in recovery can take them as directed. Chances are, if you are worrying about them, you have reason to.

Ativan is also very addictive. I am hoping that your doctor wrote you a minimal prescription for these. Although I agree that most times alcoholics need some medication to help with detox (I did) it worries me when doctors write Rx's for alcoholics to take at home without strict supervision and someone else being in control of these type of meds.

I urge you to get with the doctor who prescribed these meds and discuss your concerns. Being in recovery, it is very, very important to be totally honest with any doctors who you see from here on out. Let them know you are in recovery.

God Bless and congratulations on your decison to get clean and sober.

Judy