Notices

Did you become addicted to withdrawl drugs?

Old 07-03-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did you become addicted to withdrawl drugs?

Im on Percocet right now for a broken shoulder. Also Ativan for withdrawl.

Im a bit worried about the Percocet...
Old 07-03-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Percocet is addictive like any opiate. Altho if you get addicted to Vicodin/Percocet, you'll be dead of liver failure before anything else as they are both combined with paracetamol.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

one can of worms coming up
Old 07-03-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
problem with authority

I abused vicodin before and after spinal surgery. I believe it is a similar opiate to percocet. I did however refrain from overdoing it because I knew that acetaminophen, which is also in percocet and vicodin, was extremely damaging to the liver, particularly in combination with alcohol, and I was also drinking heavily.

The FDA I hear is considering banning acetaminophen altogether because there have been many sudden deaths from liver failure.

I obtained ativan on my own from an internet source in bangladesh. I took it while still drinking and one morning I woke up after a super blackout with blood all over my bed from after I'd passed out and hit my head on the bedpost.

I did not become addicted to librium when I was withdrawing from alcohol because I was in an inpatient, medically supervised detox facility.

Be safe.

Michael
Old 07-03-2009, 02:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Talk to your doctor about tapering off of both of these highly addictive medications.

NOTE: talk to your doctor. Do not do this on your own.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If your doctor knows that you're on Ativan and that you're an alcoholic, then follow his advice. But as Percocet can be highly addictive, it's important that you take it only as directed. You may even want to consider having someone else hold on to the pills and administer them to you. That way you won't have the opportunity to abuse the drug.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I used no med's for de toxing from alcohol.
That only took me 3 hard days.

Since then...over 20 years....I have taken pain meds
for various problems. I took them as directed.

I quit as soon as I could.
For a broken sholder...that was about 2 weeks.

Less is best....
Old 07-03-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The last detox I was in, I had entered the thing with about a week of sobriety. I was sort of there to save a job, you could say.

After having been there about 12 day (I was nearing graduation from that place as it was a 14 day facility), I was offered something.

One evening after a meeting, I was walking by the nurses station and this nurse assistant asked me if I wanted my valium. I told her I wasn't taking any valium. She asked "Why not? It can help you taper off." I told her I'd been off of booze for going on 3 weeks! "Why the hell would I need valium!"

The doctor there pretty much begged me to take anabuse. I did it to get him off my back. Bad idea, imo.

I had a doctor I had gone to for a physical for my commercial drivers license and I told him I had lower back pains from so much driving, but that I was trying to abstain from alcohol. He put me on 6 skelaxins a day... that was a pill bottle of 180. I remember taking them and them not doing much. So I eventually blew them off and started just taking aspirin. I got drunk as a skunk on night and tore a hotel apart and had my luggage taken from me. Months later when I went back to court to serve my sentence on that deal and guess what? Low and behold, they found my luggage... in the evidence room of the jail. I found my overnight bag and looked into that pill bottle. It was more than halfway gone. Either I misplaced about 50 pills that night or my stomach had a Skelaxin party that night along with all the booze I drank.

We in A.A. are not doctors for sure. But I'm not gonna make the mistake of making a doctor my higher power either.

Percocet: Not a fun thing to get hooked on. I knew someone who couldn't go #2 after a week's use of this stuff. It had been 8 days and they were so constipated, they just couldn't go. Do you think the doctor helped them finally, go? Heck no! They had to "take matters into their own hands" so to speak. Scary stuff.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

As a recovering addict whose drug of choice was opiates, please, please, please be very careful with the Percoet. I was addicted to these type of pills for over 25 years and it was pure hell getting off of them. I will celebrate 4 years clean and sober this month and although I have had several painful medical conditions happen, including a fractured pelvis and I currently have 4 ruptured discs in my back which I will need surgery soon on, I am terrified to take any pain pills other than anti inflammatories. Opiates are very addicting, although some in recovery can take them as directed. Chances are, if you are worrying about them, you have reason to.

Ativan is also very addictive. I am hoping that your doctor wrote you a minimal prescription for these. Although I agree that most times alcoholics need some medication to help with detox (I did) it worries me when doctors write Rx's for alcoholics to take at home without strict supervision and someone else being in control of these type of meds.

I urge you to get with the doctor who prescribed these meds and discuss your concerns. Being in recovery, it is very, very important to be totally honest with any doctors who you see from here on out. Let them know you are in recovery.

God Bless and congratulations on your decison to get clean and sober.

Judy
Old 07-04-2009, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Heathen

I don't take benzos or opiates, I know I would misuse them. Same reason I don't drink alcohol.

I did not want to add another addictive substance into my body (withdrawal meds) to get off another (alcohol). I don't like swapping addicitons.. I didn't need or want meds to get and stay sober.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I took Serapax to withdraw from alcohol (prescribed by my doctor). It definitely cushioned the experience and potentially saved my life too. It's a benzo.

I ended up taking them on and off for two weeks after this. The bottle I was prescribed had 20 pills in it. By the 20th I could feel they were starting to get a hold on me. I think if I had a second bottle I would have got hooked so I am glad I didn't.

A week later I didn't even think about them so it wasn't a serious addiction just the beginnings of one.

Stay safe!
Old 07-04-2009, 10:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

The Percocet would have me concerned...as it was one of my multitude drugs of choice. Talk to you Dr. about using an non-addiction pain drug and if you have an addiction issue tell the Dr. that too. Otherwise look out, you could be headed for trouble.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for the input all.

I've only taken Ativan once before on one occasion, nasty anxiety attack a few years ago.
My GP gave me 10, 1mg pills. 3x for the first 2 days, and 2x for 2 days. I don't feel the same feeling the first time I took the Ativan, but im still taking it to prevent withdrawls.
Previously after 24 hours or so without a drink I would get the shakes and slight confusion. Now I am 5 days sober from alcohol, and I've been fine. I felt fine the 5th day (today) without the Ativan, so I guess I got lucky. As far as the Percocet's go, The ER doc gave me 60 512's for a broken shoulder. It says take one or two every 4-6 hours, at this point (5 days ) I have only been taking 1 once a day. Hopefully I dont have any issues.

Thanks all
Old 07-05-2009, 02:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I got de-toxed before I was given Valium, Librium and some anti psychotic called Largactil because of my hallaucinations. And the combining effect of all 3 made me feel rough so I was really glad when I was off of em all; the side effects were real bad for some reason. I could never get addicted too benzos and that because I see someone go thru benzo withdrawals and it wasn't pretty. She was so ill.