Old 07-03-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
McGowdog

The last detox I was in, I had entered the thing with about a week of sobriety. I was sort of there to save a job, you could say.

After having been there about 12 day (I was nearing graduation from that place as it was a 14 day facility), I was offered something.

One evening after a meeting, I was walking by the nurses station and this nurse assistant asked me if I wanted my valium. I told her I wasn't taking any valium. She asked "Why not? It can help you taper off." I told her I'd been off of booze for going on 3 weeks! "Why the hell would I need valium!"

The doctor there pretty much begged me to take anabuse. I did it to get him off my back. Bad idea, imo.

I had a doctor I had gone to for a physical for my commercial drivers license and I told him I had lower back pains from so much driving, but that I was trying to abstain from alcohol. He put me on 6 skelaxins a day... that was a pill bottle of 180. I remember taking them and them not doing much. So I eventually blew them off and started just taking aspirin. I got drunk as a skunk on night and tore a hotel apart and had my luggage taken from me. Months later when I went back to court to serve my sentence on that deal and guess what? Low and behold, they found my luggage... in the evidence room of the jail. I found my overnight bag and looked into that pill bottle. It was more than halfway gone. Either I misplaced about 50 pills that night or my stomach had a Skelaxin party that night along with all the booze I drank.

We in A.A. are not doctors for sure. But I'm not gonna make the mistake of making a doctor my higher power either.

Percocet: Not a fun thing to get hooked on. I knew someone who couldn't go #2 after a week's use of this stuff. It had been 8 days and they were so constipated, they just couldn't go. Do you think the doctor helped them finally, go? Heck no! They had to "take matters into their own hands" so to speak. Scary stuff.