Thread: I Hate Myself
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
keithj

Originally Posted by tyler View Post
Meetings, meetings, meetings, never helped me much. I could see where maybe a wise sponsor could possibly help, but who would want to spend that much time on me?
I would love to find someone like you to work with. Someone who is desperate and giving up. It's almost required to really get the steps. You are perfectly positioned for a spiritual awakening.

And I agree. Meetings will not keep a real alcoholic sober. I look around this forum heartsick at the number of people dying in the middle of AA. Meetings all around and little message of recovery.

Tyler, you can start this process today. I drunkenly called a guy who I didn't like much, but who I believed knew how to work the AA program. He talked about having had a spiritual awakening as the result of the steps. He talked about that being the only hope for an alcoholic like me.

Within a couple of months of working through the book with him, I too had experienced some kind of spiritual awakening. I had recovered. I haven't had a drink for a long time, and it started the day I started taking the steps with that guy.