View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 10:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
whyamistaying

Let me clarify what I'm thinking. I'm trying not to be an enabler. I've been reading about consequences to one's actions and if I step in then the consesquences aren't felt.

The driver has his truck 24/7. He picks up my AH for work and drives him there for free. But that isn't good enough for AH. He wants to not take the bus. He wants to pay the guy to drive him home $20/a ride home. If I agreed and paid out of household funds, then I've stepped in? Right?

We can't afford $80/week to pay someone to drive him. If I drive him home, then I'm enabling him, right? So that was my attempt to say if you want a ride home because he thinks he so deserves it, then he needs to spend money that was allotted to him on this.

I know two things about my AH. He hates taking the bus and hates jail. He has said he hasn't hit bottom yet and that is why he is still drinking. My AH thinks he is a king and to wait for the bus is "below" him. My thinking was isn't having a driver not really having consequences? Maybe if he had to take the bus for a year he would reach his bottom.

In regards to the driver, have I enabled by putting gas in the car? The driver gets the car with gas 1x/week on us. We pay the tags, the insurance. I techincally own 1/2 that truck. So have I enabled by allowing "my" truck?