View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
finally

Doctors who prescribe too much Xanax

After reading Hurtbad2505's question about letting her AS's doctor know he was abusing Xanax I am prompted to get opinions on my similar situation.

My 57 year old brother is mixing Xanax with alcohol - lots of both. He is getting the Xanax from a psychiatrist that saw him twice about 5 years ago. All this time he has been getting 90 a month. I go to Alanon & know to stay out of his addictions. However, I think what this doctor is doing is criminal (he is on SSI & I suspect she gets a payment every month for this) & I am sometimes tempted to call & politely suggest she at least see him.

I am hesitant to get involved, both because it puts me in the middle of something that is none of my business and also I know that Xanax, especially that much for that long needs to be tapered off of. What if she abruptly discontinues it? On the other hand maybe then he would get the help he so desperately needs. I guess I should also mention, he may be trading some of the Xanax for opiates his DOC. Or maybe not, who knows.

He was at my house for Father's day & was so out of it he could not walk & peed in my back yard. My elderly parents took him home, along with leftovers for him to eat when he recovered. The next day, when asked by him what happened, my mother merely told him he drank too much, perhaps he started too early. I mention this to show that he is being enabled to his death.

I can't help but want to change the dynamics of the situation. Mostly I know I can't but my husband & his friend, a recovering alcoholic, thought I should call his doctor.

I would love to have some opinions. Thank you.