View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 05:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
silkspin

Oh, lucid, sounds like my guy. Especially when he drank, he'd also think he was God's gift to IT! Even in the days when he was first in the industry, and only when he drank. When he was sober, he was more humble; the drink helped him feel more (and overly) confident. That's the high he'd look for, because otherwise he still always felt like a failure inside. He has been depressed a few times in our time together and was even on meds for awhile. He was also a binge drinker. The party guy that was always the one everyone needed to help get home. Once he started, he didn't stop until he was wasted. And once we had our little girl, the going out subsided a bit, but then he drank to oblivion at home. I threatened to leave, made him go to addiction therapy, la la la, nothing worked. I did finally force him into a separate bedroom; we moved cities and it was temporary until we sold our house and then he'd be asked to leave. He did seek help and has been sober 6 months. But, he is still not 'recovering'. A bit of a geographic cure (he's no longer in the milieu of all his 'bad' friends), but he's isolated himself from just about every social activity. It's like he's hiding; although he says he really wants to make friends and go out, he feels that that can't happen without alcohol.

There are still problems, and I take it day by day to see if this will take us to a better place. Going into recovery doesn't mean that there will be some sort of magic cure; it brings a host of new and different issues as they struggle with their demons. You are doing what is best for you and your son, and that is paramount. Even if your leaving prompted him to do something about it, if they don't want it for themselves, it won't stick for the long term. Keep focused on yourself.