View Single Post
Old 05-16-2004, 09:36 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
mackat

yes- good forum topic
important, especially for newcomers, is the understanding that every addictive substance is not equally addictive in every individual. There are many folk who can smoke an occassional cigarette. folk who can smoke crack a few times a year, socially use heroin, etc.
but each of these substances has a large percentage of users who, once started, cannot stop. And i don't know if there is any iron clad predictor of who is affected by what. I could do speed for weeks at a time, then not touch it for years. But i needed intervention about cocaine within months of my first use. go figure.
and then there are the more insidious patterns of use. Until the last few years of my drinking, i actually could be moderate for extended periods of time- looking back on it, it was almost like i crossed some line and then was unable to get back to moderation..by the end, i was truly powerless..
now that i see those patterns in myself, i cannot imagine teasing whatever trigger might be waiting for me.
I have also seen many many times over, sad and/or tragic results when recovering people had decided that they were one of the ones for whom moderation was appropriate.
And, i have to add, that my life, within the context of the program i practice, has been so fullfilling its every aspect: physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually, that i intend to stay with it. Those who know me- in or out of NA/AA will tell you that i am truly high on life! what else could i possibly need?
mackat