View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Still Waters
Being Silent so I can Hear

Originally Posted by joedris View Post
Hi blue, It's not unusual for some to substitute one addiction for another when getting dry and sober. I ate a lot of ice cream, for example, as my body craved the sugar which in an end product of alcohol digestion. I wonder if he has a supporet group such as AA or NA? These can be a big help for him. But until he calms down, you may want to consider moving out - with family, a friend, or on your own. There's no need to be the target of abuse. And just as an aside, he's not exhibiting the symptoms of a dry drunk, He's exhibiting the symptoms of someone going through a very difficult situation where he's still attracted to drugs and alcohol and is having a very hard time fighting it. There's no need for you to suffer from it, though.
You say he's not exhibiting symptoms of a dry drunk. When does it become a dry drunk? In a year? Two? As I understand it, a dry drunk is when an alcoholic is not drinking, yet also not growing in recovery. They got rid of the symptom of their problem (drinking) but have not addressed the reasons behind it. In my opinion, someone in recovery and working the steps would not be blaming others for every little thing.

For instance, when my AH accused me of sabotaging his recovery I knew he was a dry drunk, with no active recovery at all.

Blue - there are recovery houses available for him, should you feel the need for some space while he's sorting himself out. Do a search for Oxford Houses.