View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 06:15 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Ermy glad to hear you are on your second day today. I spent 5 years trying to quit on my own and never managed to succeed, the only thing I did succeed in doing alone was to not draw a sober breath the last 5 years of my drinking.

I finally realized I was going to lose everything and die if I did not stop drinking. I knew I could not stay stopped on my own so in detox when they told me "If you want a chance to stay sober you need to go to at least 90 AA meetings & get a sponsor." I did just that, you see I knew that in looking at my record of staying stopped alone I needed to try a different way.

Think about it, you decide you want a pool and have tried several times to build one your self and did not succeed a single time, but your neighbors have succeeded in building good solid pools by helping each other build thier pools, what are you going to do?

1. Keep on trying to build your own pool and not succeeding?

2. Do as your neighbors did and ask them for help since obviously they know how to work together and build a pool?

I wanted/needed to be sober, I did not know how to stay sober so what did I do?

I asked other alcoholics who are staying sober how they stayed sober in AA and I did the same thing they did!

Guess what? I stayed sober!!!! The easier softer way to sobriety for me was to stop trying to stay sober alone and to ask others who knew how to stay sober for help.

They went to meetings, I went to meetings.

They had a sponsor, I got a sponsor.

They took the steps with thier sponsor, I took the steps with my sponsor.

WE stayed sober together and have a great and rewarding time helping each other stay sober!

I could not stay sober, but WE can together!