Notices

i didn't make it.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Ermy -

I hope youre still around.

Maybe look at it this way -
You've learned something important today/this weekend.

it's not that you 'can't' stop drinking.

you've learned that you can't stop drinking...on your own.

There's not a person on this site who could.
Not all went into AA, or even to a rehab... but they did not do it alone.

Theyr'e here... so they had SR.

While SR is best when worked along WITH a program of recovery...
it's still exactly where you should be right now.

I hope you'll decide to do what's best for your family.
And talk to them and recognise you are not going to be able to stop drinking on your own. You're going to need help. Outside help ... and theirs.

I think You'll find they truly love you and want to be a part of this enormous,
yet wonderful choice to stop the pain.

Just think about it.

I hope you'll keep posting.

I love your name, by the way.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I couldn't make 3 days for many years either Ermy. I think most of us try and try and try again. I eventually put day after day after day - I have a few years now.

Like MM says there's absolutely nothing stopping you trying again

think about where you went wrong, try to fix that, and start again.

We've all been there
D
I couldn't have said it better. You know what?? 3 days sober is better than 3 days drunk. Pick yourself up, develop a plan, and try again.

Stay strong!!
Old 05-30-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

"If at first you don't succeed, try and try again"

Don't beat yourself up over it.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Oh Ermy Chin up like the others have said tommorrow is a new day. We have all being in your shoes stay here get support and friendship here. Im five weeks sober and loving it you will get there with the love and support her you will get there
Old 05-30-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Pain is life's best motivator!! Suffering, though, is optional.

i suffer when i know the right direction to go, but take a different path. i suffer when i know what the right thing to do is, but do something else instead. i suffer when i ignore the freedom i have and stay stuck in my own mind.

Pain often shows me how much i care about myself and others. It helps me to realize the need for faith in a God of my understanding to help me stay clean. i never want to be alone with my pain ever again!!

i have come to understand that addiction is a cunning enemy of life. It is necessary for me to put forth my best effort to live clean. This is what keeps my disease of addiction arrested and helps me to grow as a human being.

If you have a desire to get clean and realize that you can't do it by yourself, God is giving you just enough clarity about your condition to inspire you to ask for help. Going to meetings regularly is the best source of help.

Please give yourself a break and stop now before it gets any worse. You can call the AA Hotline anytime.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Ermy, Stop beating yourself up! You have a disease called alcoholism. It's incurable, but it can be treated. It's very difficult to quit drinking, and you can't do it alone. Please get to an AA meeting as folks before me have suggested. You'll find the help and support you need from people who have been through what you're going through now. You can beat this thing, so please don't give up.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Ermy

Sorry to hear you are having a bad time, don't be too hard on yourself, stopping drinking is very difficult.

I have tried to stop several times and relapsed, but what was important was that I was trying to stop. I think it was worse for me when I just kept on drinking and didnt even consider stopping as an option. The fact that you did stop for those days is a breakthrough and that it is possible and you can do it. The first few days are the worst, physically and emotionally. For me there are still loadsa issues but one thing I am conscious of is filling my new alcohol free time with things to do, especially when I am going up the wall with a craving. It is a big change, it is like something that pre-occupied my life has gone and it is unsettling / stressful.

The turning point for me (as well as the usual stuff accociated with being a drunk) was my health - being liver damage and alcohol neuropathy. If I had known that would happen to me, I am sure I would have taken action sooner and not put my head in the sand like I did.

I hope today is a better day for you, keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

I know we are always saying one day at a time, but it helps me.

Hugs

J
Old 05-30-2009, 09:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ermy,
you have no idea just how much strength your thread has given us...Oz..lol
Old 06-01-2009, 10:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
trying to recover

ok im 2 days sober again. fingers crossed x
Old 06-02-2009, 01:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

hello ermy,welcome.your story is a little like mine in that i tried to quit many times and it just didnt work,i either picked up again very quickly or was downright miserable for the short periods of time that i did manage to stop (2 weeks was the most i think).i have 100 odd days sober now and i could not have done this on my own.i joined sr at the begining of the year and have made many friends here and there is so much support.i also went to AA.after the initial brain fog clearing i got a sponsor and im on the 12step recovery programme.its not for everyone but it has given this alki a life!! im from the uk also,there is lots of meetings and im lucky where i am as there is plenty of women in the meetings i go to.if you think its the end of the line and you really want to quit why not give them a ring.these are people who have walked the walk and have a total understanding of where you are now.welcome again and i wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do.keep us posted.:ghug
Old 06-02-2009, 05:34 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Ermy....hang in there ok

read the threads, pm people, think about what will help you to stay sober....

:ghug
Old 06-02-2009, 06:15 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Ermy glad to hear you are on your second day today. I spent 5 years trying to quit on my own and never managed to succeed, the only thing I did succeed in doing alone was to not draw a sober breath the last 5 years of my drinking.

I finally realized I was going to lose everything and die if I did not stop drinking. I knew I could not stay stopped on my own so in detox when they told me "If you want a chance to stay sober you need to go to at least 90 AA meetings & get a sponsor." I did just that, you see I knew that in looking at my record of staying stopped alone I needed to try a different way.

Think about it, you decide you want a pool and have tried several times to build one your self and did not succeed a single time, but your neighbors have succeeded in building good solid pools by helping each other build thier pools, what are you going to do?

1. Keep on trying to build your own pool and not succeeding?

2. Do as your neighbors did and ask them for help since obviously they know how to work together and build a pool?

I wanted/needed to be sober, I did not know how to stay sober so what did I do?

I asked other alcoholics who are staying sober how they stayed sober in AA and I did the same thing they did!

Guess what? I stayed sober!!!! The easier softer way to sobriety for me was to stop trying to stay sober alone and to ask others who knew how to stay sober for help.

They went to meetings, I went to meetings.

They had a sponsor, I got a sponsor.

They took the steps with thier sponsor, I took the steps with my sponsor.

WE stayed sober together and have a great and rewarding time helping each other stay sober!

I could not stay sober, but WE can together!