View Single Post
Old 05-14-2004, 06:50 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
The Jay Walker

Originally Posted by bluto
"I think it is important to other newcomers to understand that the AA program really isnt a quitting drinking program. It is about religious conversion."

" There is no mention of abstinence anywhere in the 12 steps."
I also think it is important for newcomers to know the truth about A.A.

here are a few quotes off the top of my head from the Steps concerning abstinance,

“First, Alcoholics Anonymous does not demand that you believe anything. All of its Twelve Steps are but suggestions. Second, to get sober and to stay sober, you don't have to swallow all of Step Two right now “
Step Two
12 x 12 pg. 26

“More sobriety brought about by the admission of alcoholism and by attendance at a few meetings is very good indeed, but it is bound to be a far cry from permanent sobriety and a contented, useful life.�
Step Three
12 x 12 pg. 39-40

“this emerging from isolation
through the open and honest sharing of our terrible burden of guilt, brings us
to a resting place where we may prepare ourselves for the following Steps toward a full and meaningful sobriety.�
Step Five
12 x 12 pg. 62

“Still goaded by sheer necessity, we reluctantly come to grips with
those serious character flaws that made problem drinkers of us in the first
place, flaws which must be dealt with to prevent a retreat into alcoholism once again.�
Step Seven
12 x 12 pg. 73

“Someone who knew what he was talking about once remarked that pain was the touchstone of all spiritual progress. How heartily we A.A.'s can agree with him, for we know that the pains of drinking had to come before sobriety, and emotional turmoil before serenity.�

Step Ten
12 x 12 pg. 94

and a quote from the AA preamble.

. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

I dont feel the need to go through it all with a fine tooth comb or this post would be very long indeed, if you feel after attending AA for 20 years that it's not about abstinance, then I wish you luck.

anyone interested in what AA really is, please feel free to go to the AA forum and look through the AA literature thread.

Jay