View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CALYNN

Online AA Meetings

Hey, anyone have much experience/success with these? I "attended" two meetings yesterday as I'm new to this and wanted to see what it was "all about". I have to say I am definitely NOT impressed at this point.

The first meeting I just "observed", which was fine. Didn't share anything. Before the meeting started, a big welcome to all the newcomers. After the meeting (during the chat session), I asked a couple questions - what are FTF meetings like, do you HAVE to share or can you just observe and how do you go about getting a sponsor. I was told FTF meetings are just like online meetings (you don't have to share if you don't want to) and no answer about how to get a sponsor. I was hoping for a bit more information, but okay. Then, I was told since I'm a newbie it wasn't a good time for me to be there. Basically, because all the old timers were having fun chatting it up w/eachother and didn't want to be bothered with me. Told me to come back Monday for the newcomer meeting. What???!!! Not exactly the support I was expecting. Is this what I can expect at a FTF meeting? Why bother then?

Just for spite, I attended a 2nd meeting. Again, I just "observed". During the meeting I got a request for a private chat (what's that?), so I agreed. Long story (chat) short, it ended up being really disturbing. Started out fine and ended up with the person (said she was a she, but who knows) doing a lot of talking about "off topic" stuff like how much "she" likes young girls and have I ever tried "doing one", blah blah blah.

I know it's anonymous and it's the internet, so pretty much anything goes, but argh, I was really hoping for a better experience.

Anyway, I'm really trying hard to find reasons to go to FTF meetings because I don't like group situations.

Sorry, this turned out to be more of a vent than a question...