View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
helpformyson

I need the straight story.....

My 22 year old AS went through rehab and was doing well until he got into the 1/2 way house. The first week he went into the 1/2 way house, he got his paycheck and bought drugs, tested dirty twice and was thrown out. He moved to another 1/2 way house...same story. He is now living with 2 high school friends. One takes loracet (hip pain problems), they all smoke pot, and my son shoots oxy's, but claims he has "only relapsed 3 times" since January and he has been clean for 2 weeks. He also works with "recovering" addicts. He claims that he needs to be around other "recovering" addicts for support. He also claims that during rehab, his counselor told him that it was better if he had support from other "recovering" addicts.

He claims that he does not enjoy Alanon or any other programs of that nature.

I say that he needs to be as far away from other recovering addicts as possible...that it is too tempting when one of the other addicts relapse. Especially being around it 24/7. He tells me I don't know what I am talking about.

I want to take him to an addiction psychiatrist (sp?), but feel as though I am wasting my money and time, since he has no desire to be away from other addicts. I have set an appointment for next Monday. He has agreed to go.

Please....any opinions, experiences or suggestions would really be helpfull.