Old 05-27-2009, 09:35 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Katie09

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
Katie, I think if I had to just sit through the pain that comes from not drinking, I would have stayed drunk. That is why recovery is so important. With recovery, there is no pain from not drinking. For alcoholics like me, the days between quitting drinking and getting that recovery deep in my heart are very uncomfortable. Almost unbearable.

I know you are doing a lot of things for recovery. But you are also doing a lot of worrying. Maybe it's best to focus down on just the recovery. Nothing else matters. Life gets pretty simple when you only have one thing to take care of. Do that one thing to the utmost of your ability, and the other things will take care of themselves.
Thanks for understanding. I do appreciate your perspective. I was thinking (again) about picking up more days volunteering. It would serve the purpose of helping others and getting me up early each day. It's only two hours a day. Everytime I go there one of the clients says something that just makes my day. These are people with very little and just there because they are in need and the clothes and food are free and they do need the help, especially in these tough times. The added benefit is I get to practice Spanish.

Then I was thinking about renting a place for a month in my former city just to be around water. Could help. My friend up there has been in AA for about 14 years and he'd be the person I'd be hanging out with. With any luck, he'd rub off on me.

I dunno. I'd best make no rash decisions today as that is what always seems to get me in trouble - that and alcohol. Oh well, I do have my group tonight and can bounce these ideas off of them. I am thinking the volunteering is the best bet, all things considered. I would be forced to be accountable and get the *H* outta ME! It's been somewhat hard to do these days considering I could have burned my house down (and somehow I don't think insurance would cover that ) Not to make light of anything. I just feel like the dunce in this sober class forum

Last edited by Katie09; 05-27-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: change thought