View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

((Dorton))

I'll tell you what my rules are for living at home. I'm WAY older than your son, but the consequences of using got me here.

I pay rent, which means I have to have a job.

No using, whatsoever. If they were to even suspect I had been using, I would be expected to pee in a cup, right then and there. If I couldn't, I leave.

Common courtesy plus. This means I let them know where I'm going, about how long I am going to be, about when I will be back. This was much more restrictive right after I relapsed. Did I feel like I was being treated like a kid again? Yep. Did I go along with it? Absolutely...I ruined their trust, and I needed to do whatever it took to get it back. To this day, they STILL know the basics of where I am.

My recovery is my deal. I don't go to meetings. There really isn't a question of whether or not I'm working my recovery because it shows in my actions. I work, I pay bills, I'm taking an online college course.

This is just to give you an idea of what works in my house. I work with my dad, and what I pay in rent helps him out financially, so it is a win-win situation.

Anvil has a good point, also? When I was his age (long before I became an addict) I had already been living on my own for 2 years.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy