View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 10:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
TTOSBT
To Thine Own Self Be True

Katie,

All I can share is my experience. My husband and I have been married almost 10 years.
He is a normie who chooses to have a beer maybe once a year or so. He HATED my drinking. His love and feeling toward my alcoholism kept me from dying probably but it never kept me sober. I learned how to hide it very well and truthfully, did a lot of my drinking in my car on my way home from work so that he did not see it. I know it was crazy making for him. He had no idea why I got such a buzz off of the 1 or 2 glasses of wine he occasionally saw me drink.

So, he always felt like I just needed to slow down and not drink so much too. Why? Because he did not/does not understand what it is like to be an alcoholic. So I would promise to only have one or two or whatever drinks. Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't/couldn't. In fact I was 9 months sober before he realized that I meant to never drink again. He kept asking when I thought I might have a drink now and then again. Funny, considering he does not drink. But I would just tell him, I don't know, but I am not going to drink today.

So I guess what I am saying is that while your boyfriend may think that you can have one or that this is a good idea to make you promise to only have one. You are only going to get sober when YOU know that you can't and are willing to do whatever it takes not to.