View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
mle-sober
mle-sober

The fact alone that you have your hands full taking care of yourself - that alone makes it the wisest decision to tell her, gently, no. You love her, you want her to have a good life, but no.

Additionally, being only 4 months sober at the most (by my count) allowing this scenario which causes you stress into your space - well - it's unwise.

You daughter may be the most wonderful person on earth. And same for her boyfriend. But you are uncomfortable. That is important. She is creating a certain drama for you that us alcoholics are sometimes drawn into. It's dangerous. It's a good idea to have her occassionally over for a ice tea or meet her down the street for a sandwich. I'm not saying cut contact. FOSTER contant. But not the kind that she seems to think she's entitled to.

Find the wisest self inside yourself and come from that place. Not the emotional self (I should, I owe her, I'm bad if I don't). And not the pure rational self (she needs a place, I have space). Come from your wise self that already knows the answer.

This is hard but you can do it!