View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 08:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
jamdls

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
I look at it this way, which would I feel better about some one saying behind my back:

"Did you hear that Martin is a recovering alcoholic who attends AA meetings"

OR

"You know I heard that Martin is a drunk when he is not at work?"
That is great Taz!

Cook, I went through nearly a year of all those emotions you talk of, other than going to work I barely left the house cause I was so ashamed of the drunk I had been. All the soul searching that we do of ourselves takes time and it takes time to forgive ourselves. It took me a week of sobriety before I went to an AA meeting and the first couple of meetings I slipped in late, sat in the back and snuck out at the first chance. I think it was at the 3rd or 4th meeting that there was a man who was the leader that night, a nice looking man probably in his early 40s. He told a portion of his story and when he got to the part where he said he knew that if he didn't stop drinking he'd risk losing his medical license I started listening. There are all kinds of people in AA. I quit going to AA after about a dozen meetings not that there was anything wrong with it but I didn't feel it was for me, however, I continue to read AA literature and I practice my version of the 12 steps, the knowledge, understanding, and acceptance I received from AA has been invaluable.
The first year I was scared to death that people knew what I had been, now I'd be proud to shout from the rooftops that I am a recovering alcoholic and I don't need the dang wine etc to have fun/unwind/ whatever!

Judy