View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Helluvacook do not worry, what you are going through right now is pretty standard in early sobriety, feelings and emotions are all over the place, up and down like a rolloer coaster ride, as time passes (Not 2 or 3 weeks) things start to smooth out, the more I worked on changing me and cleaning up my side of the street the smoother that roller coaster ride gets.

I am a Director of Nursing at a large organization and I can't risk the scrutiny right now.
I had to chuckle a bit when I read that, I know for a fact that there are HUGE numbers of doctors, nurses and other health care professionals in AA, I know for a fact there is an AA group named Agape at a huge medical center, here is the link Sheppard Pratt Health System-FAQ The Agpe AA group meets 3 times a day every day in 2 different rooms in a building right on the medical center.

One of my daughters went through rehab there for anorexia, I stayed up there for 3 weeks and attended a ton of AA meetings, there were doctors, nurse, therapist, department heads all in attendance.

Alcoholism knows no class, no age group, nor race. I attend AA meetings with politicians, lawyers, business owners, a minister, government workers with Top Secret clearances, I also know one person in AA that is in church of one of the largest nursing institutions in the US.

I look at it this way, which would I feel better about some one saying behind my back:

"Did you hear that Martin is a recovering alcoholic who attends AA meetings"

OR

"You know I heard that Martin is a drunk when he is not at work?"

I know what I have chosen and I do not have a single regret about it, as a matter of fact I have people come to me for help for an alcoholic friend, people look up to me for overcoming my alcoholism.

I was at one time known as a drunk behind my back, I did not find that out until I had been sober over a year!