Thread: Is this normal?
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
joedris

What you're going through is normal. It'll get better as time goes on. Keep going to the AA meetings, get a sponsor, and work the steps. You're off to a good start and are going through something we've all experienced.

The term "dry drunk" refers to someone who doesn't drink but who does not participate in the AA program. I HATE that term, particularly since it's usually used in a disparaging manner. I particularly HATE the term when I hear a counselor or therapist use it. Hey! If an alcoholic quits drinkling without AA, so what? A lot of people fall into this category. AA doesn't work for everyone. It saved my life but I can only speak for myself. I'm not going to look down on someone who never joined AA.

And as a bit of history as I end my rant here, the term originally began when referring to people with Wernikie-Karsakoff syndrome. (look it up) Also known as "wet brain". These people stumble around and slur their words as is they're drunk but they're not. It's a permanent condition caused by a Thiamin deficiency resulting from consuming way too much alcohol. And being placed in a mental institution for the rest of their lives is the only solution. So think about that if you need a little motivation to stop drinking.