View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ToughChoices
Yield beautiful changes

Welcome to the forum, princesspilot! I'm so glad that you found us!

Originally Posted by princesspilot75 View Post

I read blogs by others and have determined that his behavior is "normal" for one in recovery. ...........
The behavior you describe sounds like the selfish, immature, volatile mindset that characterizes addiction. It does not sound like recovery. Regardless of whether his behavior is "normal" - is it acceptable to you? That's all that matters. You're in charge of what you allow into your life.

Originally Posted by princesspilot75 View Post

#1 - How long does it take for the person to get over themselves? In other words, when do they actually take responsibility for their own actions and quit blaming the rest of the world?
#2 - What could possibly be going through a person's head (for a week) as to why there is no phone call?
#3 - What is the best way to proceed from here?
#1. Some people never get over themselves. The twelve steps of AA (and probably a good number of other programs) help those who are willing to do some hard work admit their responsibility in the chaos and begin to heal themselves and the relationships affected by addiction. It is difficult to stop blaming others - not everyone chooses to accept responsibility.

#2. My XAH would frequently go for long periods of time without communication. A week would pass between phone calls if he was trying to punish me for being too needy or controlling. It worked. I always felt punished and hurt. It was an emotionally abusive relationship, and I am glad to be out of it.

#3. What does your gut tell you about the future of the relationship? You describe a lovely beginning - how have things been lately? Good? Getting better? You are the only person who can decide if you want to wait and see if your S.O. will stop these destructive and painful behaviors. From what you've written this man sounds like he is in the midst of a very challenging time. It was impossible for me to live my best life when my X was going through a period of similar suffering. Spend some time thinking about your own needs - what you want/need/like matters. Don't forget that!

Take care.
-TC