View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 09:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
kelsh

Thumbs up Acts of Random Kindness....

Hi Coyote,

What a "Priceless" story! I have a habit that I do without really thinking about it and that is smiling at people that look toward me & say Hello...I usually get a smile back.

One day my youngest daughter and I were in the post office getting our mail. She all of a sudden asked me: "Mom why do you smile at people you don't know and they smile back at you?" I told her that it makes other people feel good if someone smiles and says hello.

I worked with the Elderly population for twenty years in different positions & the last one before I retired was 10 years as a Geriatric Counselor...mostly working with people still in their own homes...usually their doctor would make a referral and it was such a wonderful job. I got back two-fold what I gave out & it just takes a minute or two to do something extra to help them.

I am going to think about doing something more like this...it is too easy to stay isolated at home when we are retired. My husband and I usuallly just go to our doc appts. & shopping. We have hobbies at home & have a routine of trying to go to bed at the same time and get up with the alarm at 8 am.

We were sleeping in later & later which is not a good habit to form. We have two dogs which will be sleeping outside now...they get to sleep in during the winter because we get low temps at night here. The big dog sleeps by the back door behind a baby gate & the little terrier sleeps in her doggie carrier.

Our days seem to go too fast most of the time & when I am bothered with my Depression the days seem to creep by.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL OF YOU MOM'S OUT THERE.....!!!!!!!!

ORCHARDS