Random acts of kindness...pass it on

Old 05-09-2009, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awakening

Random acts of kindness...pass it on

Hi all,

At work Friday morning, the guy that usually loads our trucks had to take off.

All the drivers were bitching because our trucks weren't loaded and ready to go, and the poor guy stuck with doing two jobs for the morning was apologizing to us all. He takes a great deal of pride in his job, and as at most jobs, gets very few "attaboys".

He is a guy around my age (50's) who also has a 7yo little girl. He loves her, and like me, talks about her all the time.

Any way, before I left on my route I took the opportunity to thank him for his help and say what a good job he'd done. That cost me nothing.

A few minutes later I was walking to my truck, he said "Coyote, you have a great weekend, and by the way, happy Mothers day".

Wow, made my eyes well up.

So in the spirit of "paying it forward"..... Mr. B, where ever you are, you have a happy Mothers day as well! :ghug3

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can you imagine what it would be like if, every day, we all did that to just one person. Just one - the grocery store clerk that looks down on herself, the frazzled single mom next door with the three kids, your husband/wife/brother/sister who's having one of those days where they can't stop "thinking of things that might've been", anybody.

Six billion of us, doing six billion acts of kindness each day. Free. Painless. Almost effortless.

Can you imagine what the world would be like?

Tomorrow, Coyote, I'm going to pick somebody and start myself a new tradition.

Happy Mother's day, friend

GL
Old 05-09-2009, 09:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Acts of Random Kindness....

Hi Coyote,

What a "Priceless" story! I have a habit that I do without really thinking about it and that is smiling at people that look toward me & say Hello...I usually get a smile back.

One day my youngest daughter and I were in the post office getting our mail. She all of a sudden asked me: "Mom why do you smile at people you don't know and they smile back at you?" I told her that it makes other people feel good if someone smiles and says hello.

I worked with the Elderly population for twenty years in different positions & the last one before I retired was 10 years as a Geriatric Counselor...mostly working with people still in their own homes...usually their doctor would make a referral and it was such a wonderful job. I got back two-fold what I gave out & it just takes a minute or two to do something extra to help them.

I am going to think about doing something more like this...it is too easy to stay isolated at home when we are retired. My husband and I usuallly just go to our doc appts. & shopping. We have hobbies at home & have a routine of trying to go to bed at the same time and get up with the alarm at 8 am.

We were sleeping in later & later which is not a good habit to form. We have two dogs which will be sleeping outside now...they get to sleep in during the winter because we get low temps at night here. The big dog sleeps by the back door behind a baby gate & the little terrier sleeps in her doggie carrier.

Our days seem to go too fast most of the time & when I am bothered with my Depression the days seem to creep by.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL OF YOU MOM'S OUT THERE.....!!!!!!!!

ORCHARDS
Old 05-09-2009, 09:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

A couple of decades ago.....a magazine
either Family Circle or Womans Day.....

started a social movement....."Random Acts of Kindness"

The idea was daily 1 kind action for a stranger.
Money could be involved...but not nessarily.
You were also supose to not tell anyone I think.

Anyway....it's a grand concept ..easily done
I'm pleased to see it expanded revived....

There is a companion thread in Newcomers

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ard-peeps.html
Old 05-10-2009, 08:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At my old job (Insurance Adjuster) we were always told, "Make sure you smile when you're on the phone and are friendly to each and every client. You may talk to dozens of them a day, but you might be the only voice they hear. " Because of that, I still smile at everyone and make sure I'm friendly to everyone

On a side note, I had a lady tell me at work (waitressing) yesterday while I was running around like crazy "Honey, slow down, you don't get paid enough to work" I just smiled and said that I didn't like to make people wait. She responded "No one here is starving to the point they can't wait an extra 30 seconds" It felt so good to be recognized as working hard
Old 05-11-2009, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks for the great stories! At work (IT) there are many stressful situations and frustrated people - many times they send hostile emails or are in a hurry... many times they also copy my boss, and my boss's boss and everyone else to make me look bad because everything needs to be done ASAP..

In those cases I like to be EXTRA kind and professional, just for contrast And it pays a lot to be kind to people. Many coworkers help me, so it builds for a great atmoshpere at work and teamwork