Thread: lost the battle
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lostthebattle

lost the battle

I am new to this forum but not addiction.I looked through the post and did not find one relating to what I would like to share with family members who live with an addict.
This is my son's story.......
My son played football his senior year in high school.Some time between Sept.2007 and November 2007 a kid on the team introduced my son to Oxycontin.I always thought I'd know if one of my kid's was messing with drugs.I didn't and I have been in recovery myself for 10 years.
In Dec.2007 my son and a friend got pulled over for speeding.The cops searched the truck and found Marijuana.Both boys went to jail.My son bonded out of jail with the condition to go twice a week for drug test.In April 2008 my son failed drug test for Oxycodone.
Judge refused to reset bond,however he did agree to let my son finish his senior year from jail.Every morning I picked him up at jail,after school he'd go back to jail.I talked the judge into letting my son go to rehab,he needed help not boot camp.
My son was not allowed to walk with his graduating class even though he had not done anything on school grounds(that he got caught for) it was because he was in jail.I still have his hat and gown,never opened.
In June 2008 my son left jail and went straight to rehab.Court ordered 6 months.He did really good while he was there.The rehab released him two weeks early because he was doing good.My son came home November 21,2008 he turned 19 on November22.2008.My son over dosed and died November 25.2008.
I'm not telling you this story to scare anyone.My son died with a needle in his arm and he was sitting in the bathroom.Before anyone found him he'd been dead for about an hour.
The reason I want to share his story is because my son had a tolerance to Oxycodone before he went to rehab,now he'd been clean for 6 months and his tolerance had dropped.He thought he could come home and do the same amount and it killed him.
The toxicology report found no more then 40 mg of Oxycodone.Nothing else in him and no alcohol.His friends told police that my son had bought a 40 mg Oxycontin.The medical examiner explain that most people go to sleep and stop breathing on an Oxycontin(Oxycodone)over dose.He told me given where my son died the Oxycontin threw him into unconsciousness and he stopped breathing.
Oxycontin(Oxycodone)binds to the part of the brain that controls the breathing.An over dose of Oxycontin(Oxycodone)is almost always fatal because this drug shuts down the central nervous system.
If you have some one struggling with the addiction to Hill Billy Heroin(Oxycontin),please tell them it takes more and more of the drug to get the desired effects.Most O.D trying to get there.Then if a person quits tell them if they relapse they CAN NOT go and use the amount they were using before their recovery.It can kill them right then and there.
I buried my 19 year old son who was 6 ft about 185 pounds.(1) pill is all it took.Remind your loves ones of this every day.People in recovery need reminded EVERY DAY.