lost the battle

Old 05-06-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

lost the battle

I am new to this forum but not addiction.I looked through the post and did not find one relating to what I would like to share with family members who live with an addict.
This is my son's story.......
My son played football his senior year in high school.Some time between Sept.2007 and November 2007 a kid on the team introduced my son to Oxycontin.I always thought I'd know if one of my kid's was messing with drugs.I didn't and I have been in recovery myself for 10 years.
In Dec.2007 my son and a friend got pulled over for speeding.The cops searched the truck and found Marijuana.Both boys went to jail.My son bonded out of jail with the condition to go twice a week for drug test.In April 2008 my son failed drug test for Oxycodone.
Judge refused to reset bond,however he did agree to let my son finish his senior year from jail.Every morning I picked him up at jail,after school he'd go back to jail.I talked the judge into letting my son go to rehab,he needed help not boot camp.
My son was not allowed to walk with his graduating class even though he had not done anything on school grounds(that he got caught for) it was because he was in jail.I still have his hat and gown,never opened.
In June 2008 my son left jail and went straight to rehab.Court ordered 6 months.He did really good while he was there.The rehab released him two weeks early because he was doing good.My son came home November 21,2008 he turned 19 on November22.2008.My son over dosed and died November 25.2008.
I'm not telling you this story to scare anyone.My son died with a needle in his arm and he was sitting in the bathroom.Before anyone found him he'd been dead for about an hour.
The reason I want to share his story is because my son had a tolerance to Oxycodone before he went to rehab,now he'd been clean for 6 months and his tolerance had dropped.He thought he could come home and do the same amount and it killed him.
The toxicology report found no more then 40 mg of Oxycodone.Nothing else in him and no alcohol.His friends told police that my son had bought a 40 mg Oxycontin.The medical examiner explain that most people go to sleep and stop breathing on an Oxycontin(Oxycodone)over dose.He told me given where my son died the Oxycontin threw him into unconsciousness and he stopped breathing.
Oxycontin(Oxycodone)binds to the part of the brain that controls the breathing.An over dose of Oxycontin(Oxycodone)is almost always fatal because this drug shuts down the central nervous system.
If you have some one struggling with the addiction to Hill Billy Heroin(Oxycontin),please tell them it takes more and more of the drug to get the desired effects.Most O.D trying to get there.Then if a person quits tell them if they relapse they CAN NOT go and use the amount they were using before their recovery.It can kill them right then and there.
I buried my 19 year old son who was 6 ft about 185 pounds.(1) pill is all it took.Remind your loves ones of this every day.People in recovery need reminded EVERY DAY.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

:ghug

Thanks for sharing your story with us; there are a number of parents of addicts here who have lost their children to addiction, and it's always excruciating.

We also have a grief section here in SR.

You are not alone in the pain you feel, or the loss you have sustained; there are many here who have traveled your path.

Hugs to you in your time of sorrow, and keep coming back to share as you process through your grief and the leftover damage that addiction has done to your life.

CLMI
Old 05-06-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My heart hurts for you. I have a son, too, just about the same size as yours. Big guys, but they are always little children in our hearts. I don't know how a mother survives something like this. But your story and your information may save a life. I believe it will.

I grew up a hillbilly. (West Virginia). I saw what happened when drugs made their way into those isolated mountains. It seems to me the same as when smallpox invaded the American Indians. The Indians had no defense. And when drugs infected Appalachia, after generations of isolation from the "real world", the black plague had truly hit. Your dear son has become one of its casualties. I am so deeply sorry. I pray God carries you in loving arms and brings peace to your heart. Your son left quickly, peacefully, and without pain.

God bless you.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am sitting here with tears running down my face, I am so sorry. How many of us can identify in one way or another with your story my son is 17, last year of high school, played football and right now in a court ordered rehab. I am printing your story out and taking it with me this Sunday when I visit, for them to read out loud to the kids. Thank you for sharing your story and I am so sorry. ((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))) Julie
Old 05-06-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Question

You are right there is an epidemic in the Appalachian Mountains.Where I live it"s about an hour from Atlanta.Not so isolated as some places in the Appalachian.
I want to warn people about Oxycontin(Oxycodone).For many years I have known a lot of people right here in this community to die because of Oxycontin.I'm sure you guys have heard the same.Is this drug invading all places.It is the drug of choice with the teens and adults.Use to be Meth here in the mountains,not anymore.
I would like to hear from all over as to there being an epidemic with Oxycontin(Oxycodone)where you live.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Forwarded from a friend's husband....

....who is an attorney in the state mentioned in this article. His job is to prosecute miners who are working while high on Oxy's....He is about as cynical a human being can get having to deal with this ALL OF THE TIME.

Just thought this was an interesting article to share.

Posted on Mon, May. 04, 2009
Inmates vying for coal mining jobs in Appalachia
By ROGER ALFORD
Associated Press Writer
Jerry Elliott hopes to trade his jail jumpsuit and slippers for a hardhat and work boots when he comes up for parole later this year. Mining is one of the few bright spots in Kentucky's otherwise dismal economy, and with coal prices high, officials have picked an unusual classroom - a county jail - to teach potential miners a dangerous, difficult job.

Elliott and about 20 other inmates at the Harlan County Detention Center crowd into a drab, locked room each Wednesday to learn the ins and outs of the mining industry, which employs 17,000 in Kentucky. Their goal? Land lucrative jobs in the Appalachian coalfields, where hardy workers are in high demand. "I've learned you can't prosper from bad money," said Elliott, who is serving time for drug trafficking. "An honest living, that's the only life."

Paul Matney, human resources director for Kentucky-based TECO Coal Corp., said his company already counts some ex-cons among its 1,200 employees and wouldn't rule out hiring more. "You have to look at everyone as individuals," Matney said. "You don't just wholesale not consider applicants because they have a criminal record."

After three years behind bars, coal mining looks pretty good to Elliott. He and the others, felons classified as low-risk and imprisoned mostly for drug crimes, listen wide-eyed as Southeast Community and Technical College mining instructor Terry Gilliam teaches them the basics, from first aid to safety rules. The unlikely students, some heavily tattooed, most in their 20s and 30s, scribble notes. Even after five hours on metal folding chairs, all eyes are on Gilliam as he glides his fingers along the spine of a mannequin to show how to check for broken vertebra.

Such skills are crucial in a hazardous workplace, and the information will be part of a test they must pass to even be considered. The weekly classes will give them the initial state certification required to apply for jobs in the mining industry, which employs more than 80,000 people nationwide.

"This is not your career goal," Gilliam said as he looked around at the concrete walls of a jail shadowed by the towering Black Mountain, Kentucky's tallest peak. "This is not what you set out in life to do. You just made a bad decision and got deterred. Now, you've got to get back on track." Harlan County Jailer Curtis Stallard persuaded the college to offer the miner training and said he will serve as a reference for those who complete it. "These guys are not rapists, murderers or hardened criminals," Stallard said. "They're people who have taken wrong turns in life. People who need a second chance. And I believe this will provide them that chance."

Kentucky Coal Association President Bill Caylor expects some mine managers will be more open than others to giving the inmates a second chance.
"It's a fascinating concept," he said. But he and Matney warn the industry shows signs of slowing, despite the job gains of the past year. They said the ailing economy may ultimately prove a tougher challenge than criminal convictions for inmates who want mining jobs.

Still, Gilliam hopes for the best. "Most employers would rather hire someone without a criminal record, but if these guys don't give up, and they show they want the jobs, someone will give them a second chance," he said.
Stallard believes coal operators will tap his work force if they review the training program, which includes other jobs such as growing food, mowing baseball fields, picking up trash on highways and caring for cemeteries.
"We work these guys, and anyone who sees them out will tell you they're really hard workers," Stallard said. An addiction to the painkiller OxyContin landed inmate Robert Allen, a father of five, behind bars. He hopes the hazards that dissuade many others from seeking mining jobs will work to his advantage. "That," he said, "ought to improve our chances."
--------------

Hope it works out for all involved. My friend's husband is frankly horrified.

Hugs, HG
Old 05-06-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyJoey View Post
I am sitting here with tears running down my face, I am so sorry. How many of us can identify in one way or another with your story my son is 17, last year of high school, played football and right now in a court ordered rehab. I am printing your story out and taking it with me this Sunday when I visit, for them to read out loud to the kids. Thank you for sharing your story and I am so sorry. ((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))) Julie
It makes me sick.Lord knows if I could do it over I would have never let him out of my sight.He went to visit his dad and that's where he died.My son didn't know what he was doing,I didn't know his addiction was so far(shootin up).The addiction counselor at the rehab told me that my son had not reveled that part of the addiction.He kept it from the one's that could have helped him.
I think it's strange that I post and you find my son's story is a lot like your son's.Make sure that when you read this to those kid's they know that my son's name is Ryan and he's the boy that lost the battle.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We don't have any cole mines here but I will tell you all this.In order to keep a nice medical practice with plenty of patients here in our area what better way to ensure the success of country doctoring then to have your monthly patients.Oxycontin is a sure guarantee.The middle school and high school is infested with pain killers.If this is prescription med.then how in the h*ll are the kid's getting it?We have legal drug dealers,how do you stop it?
Old 05-06-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well my friend Lost My son Jason died of overdose on 11-19-08. He went to sleep and never woke up. I know your grief I am fighting everyday to overcome this pain. I have no words of wisdom to help you with grief but like me I hope my son's story will help just one person to stop killing themselves with drugs. Like you said just 1 little pill can put you in the grave.
Your friend
Maggiemac
Old 05-06-2009, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maggiemac View Post
Well my friend Lost My son Jason died of overdose on 11-19-08. He went to sleep and never woke up. I know your grief I am fighting everyday to overcome this pain. I have no words of wisdom to help you with grief but like me I hope my son's story will help just one person to stop killing themselves with drugs. Like you said just 1 little pill can put you in the grave.
Your friend
Maggiemac
I am so sorry about your son.To me this is the most unnecessary death.As a mother like you I have never,suffered over anyone or anything that has hurt me to my spirit like the death of my son and such a stupid,stupid way to die and we are left here to suffer because our children are gone.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It breaks my heart each time an addict dies. My heart and prayers go out to you and all moms who have lost their beloved children to the horrible disease of addiction.

Hugs
Old 05-06-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Lost

Welcome to SR. Thank you for sharing Ryan's story. I am so sorry that you lost your son to this horrible disease. The addict in my life is my daughter. The only one I have. I don't know how I would handle losing her. Her drug of choice is also oxy's. I live in Southern Ohio and it is an epidemic here also. I have heard of Morgantown, I really don't think it is too far away from me. I know many kids who have not made it out, and some of them had been clean and went back, used 1 pill and they were gone. It is so sad. Alot of addicts in this area travel to Florida and Virginia and get anything they want. A family that we are close to lost their son in a Florida motel room a couple of months ago. He too overdosed on only 40mg of Oxy. I know that he was used to doing much more than that.

What is the answer? God, I wish I knew. I cannot believe that physician prescribe that kind of medication to people. The only people that should be able to get this med is cancer patients, in my opinion. I even know cancer patient that do not take this strong of a medication.

I am praying for you and your family tonite. May God bless you and I hope you can find peace to get thru this terrible tragedy. This is my greatest fear. My heartfelt condolences.

Gotahavfaith

:praying
Old 05-06-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. My daughter started her addiction by snorting oxycontin and later progressed to heroin. Although she has a year clean, I still live life one day at a time. I shared your son's story with her today and told her to remember that should she decide to try it one more time, it could be her last. Thank you for sharing something so painful. Hugs, Marle
Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostthebattle View Post
It makes me sick.Lord knows if I could do it over I would have never let him out of my sight.He went to visit his dad and that's where he died.My son didn't know what he was doing,I didn't know his addiction was so far(shootin up).The addiction counselor at the rehab told me that my son had not reveled that part of the addiction.He kept it from the one's that could have helped him.
I think it's strange that I post and you find my son's story is a lot like your son's.Make sure that when you read this to those kid's they know that my son's name is Ryan and he's the boy that lost the battle.
It is the drug of choice here (PA) for many users also. It would be great if you could get your story in the local paper in your area, better yet on Opera. Let Ryan's name stand for something and to help others, I know nothing will bring Ryan back and no one can ease your pain, but keeping busy for the cause will keep Ryan alive and in your heart he will live forever. There is nothing you could have done to stop this, keeping him in your sight would not have worked. Please don't beat yourself up, where there's a will addicts, fine a way. I will make sure that the boys in rehab know your son's name is Ryan and I will be praying for you to find peace. My heart just aches for all the addicts and their loved ones.
R rescue
Y young
A addicts
N now
I'm sure someone can come up with a better one then this, but it's a start. The only way to stop it by being a LOUD voice. Hugs, Julie
Old 05-06-2009, 05:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gotahavfaith View Post
Hi Lost

Welcome to SR. Thank you for sharing Ryan's story. I am so sorry that you lost your son to this horrible disease. The addict in my life is my daughter. The only one I have. I don't know how I would handle losing her. Her drug of choice is also oxy's. I live in Southern Ohio and it is an epidemic here also. I have heard of Morgantown, I really don't think it is too far away from me. I know many kids who have not made it out, and some of them had been clean and went back, used 1 pill and they were gone. It is so sad. Alot of addicts in this area travel to Florida and Virginia and get anything they want. A family that we are close to lost their son in a Florida motel room a couple of months ago. He too overdosed on only 40mg of Oxy. I know that he was used to doing much more than that.

What is the answer? God, I wish I knew. I cannot believe that physician prescribe that kind of medication to people. The only people that should be able to get this med is cancer patients, in my opinion. I even know cancer patient that do not take this strong of a medication.

I am praying for you and your family tonite. May God bless you and I hope you can find peace to get thru this terrible tragedy. This is my greatest fear. My heartfelt condolences.

Gotahavfaith

:praying

There is a Morgantown in NC.I am in North Georgia.Everything that I have researched about Oxycontin claims the addiction to Oxy is just as strong as the addiction to Heroin.In fact if a person can't get one they will use the other because Oxycontin is only (1) molecule away from Heroin.I truley can say that I don't think my son ever believed he had a drug problem.How do you save some one from themselves?
Old 05-06-2009, 05:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

As the Mother of a 20 year old Son, I cannot begin to imagine the pain of losing a child. Although I am a Recovering Addict (opiates were also my DOC) my Son is very anti drugs, alcohol, even cigarettes. I thank God everyday for this.

I hope you will continue to share Ryan's story because I'm sure sometime, somewhere, the message that you carry will save other Parents from having to experience the unbearable pain that you must feel.

God Bless & Thank You,
Judy
Old 05-06-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

So, so sorry to hear about your son. I am always so heartbroken when I hear about a life being taken by a drug; someone got cheated. There are far too many drugs today that are easy to get a hold of and ruin people's lives. I hate it and I feel for the family members who are left behind do deal with the loss. I am so sorry.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Dear Lostthebattle

For some reason I thought you said in your post that you were in West Virginia., but it was in another post.

I've been thinking about you and Ryan, Maggiemac and her son Jason and all the parents who have lost their children all evening.

We as parents try with everything within us to save our children, but we can't save them from themselves.

I agree with MyJoey's post. Telling his story will help somebody somewhere. Look how many people already have heard it from 1 post. My daughter read Ryan's story when she came in from school tonite.

Gotahavfaith
Old 05-06-2009, 09:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss and I thank you for sharing the circumstances of your Ryan's death. My son Ryan died 13 months ago of a heroin OD. I found him in his room with the needle still in his arm also. I think you are right that, after a while of being clean and sober, it only takes a smaller amount of the drug for them to overdose. I agree with the others that you should share your story. I recently had to speak to our 8th graders where I teach. I gave them my Ryan's story. It was so hard for me. But you could hear a pin drop. They were riveted. Some even cried along with me. The young people need to hear these tragic stories. With God's grace, it will make a difference.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You are in my thoughts and in my prayers and have my deepest condolences on the loss of your precious son. It is a grave loss. Hopefully as you share his story it will help other young people and will help you to remember and honor his young life.

:ghug2HG